2005 Mercury Mountaineer

KTVOnSIrfFOeyD by High Revver from NJ. on 04/19/2012. Trim: 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience 4.0L AWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great isnhgit! That's the answer we've been looking for.
Cons: Great isnhgit! That's the answer we've been looking for.
Overall review: Great isnhgit! That's the answer we've been looking for.
Nice vehicle with some shortcomings by Merc Man on 04/13/2014. Trim: 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience 4.0L AWD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: All wheel drive is very much appreciated with our winters. This vehicle bought new and now 9 years old has no visible rust and the paint looks nearly new. The interior is holding up extremely well also. Still on original brakes and they work well. Ford should never have killed the Merc line as it gave a step up to the Ford line without much of a price increase.
Cons: Heater vent on drivers foot can get uncomfortably warm. Sealed wheel bearing units are expensive to replace( all Four of them) and rear axle needed to be rebuilt . All wheel drive and with the 4.0 gets less than adequate mpg,s with todays prices. I average 15.5-17.5 combined with 60% freeway miles. Freeway only can get you 20 to 21.5 mpg's.
Overall review: Nice truck but I'm ready for better mpg's ...how about a turbo diesel Ford??
Great handling by Nascar in AZ on 08/29/2009. Trim: 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4.0L AWD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Great handling, expecially when parking in tight spaces. I average 19 MPG city and 21 hwy, however when I let other people drive MPG drops to 13.5, so it's your own driving habits that determine the MPG. Seats 4 confortably, I have only used the 3rd row seat a few times but it's definitely designed for small children.
Cons: A/C is loud - this is normal operation according to the dealer. Floor vent next to gas pedal cannot be closed, re-directed, or turnned off so if your on a long trip and have the air on your foot will get too cold or hot. Aside from normal maintenance, only a few issues. ABS rattle noise when resets (normal). Wheel bearings not torqued during factory assembley, major front brake repair with about 200 miles on truck, new driveline around 1K miles, window motor shorted out, and trim cracked on rear window around logo. Loose body mounts around 25K. Now an intermittent front end vibration/noise dealer able to duplicate once, but not long enough to diagnose. Current miles 33,000.
Overall review: Aside from the repairs, this has been a very dependable truck, and it suits my needs. I have Ford ESP, so I'm not all concerned about future repairs not being covered by warranty. Would I buy another? At 8K miles a year, I won't need a new car for many years, and by then they'll probably be outlawed due to poor MPG ratings, if it is available then yes I would buy another.
2005 Mountineer by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/23/2009. Trim: 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.0L 2WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: rides nice, comfortable seats
Cons: First American car I've owned in years, this one gets lousy mileage (V6 and less than 18), 3rd row seat fits kids only! have had NUMEROUS electrical issues. Am going back to Hondas!!
Overall review: I wouldn't buy one of these again.
Good everyday family driver by Heather on 03/27/2008. Trim: 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L AWD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I love the handling and the comfort of this vehicle as well as the third row seat option.
Cons: I have had problems with the radio controls on the steering wheel but so far that is it other than regular maintenance.
Overall review: Overall I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great midsize SUV.