2005 Toyota ECHO

Exelent car by Hector San Juan PR on 10/22/2008. Trim: 2005 Toyota ECHO 2-Door Sedan, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Its great
Overall review: exellent
A great, solid ride, albeit the "funny" shape... by Jorge from Puerto Rico on 02/19/2008. Trim: 2005 Toyota ECHO 2-Door Sedan, Owned 4 years.
Pros: It is subcompact-sized on the outside but quite comfortable on the inside. Though not spectacular, its dynamic (handling, braking, accident avoidance) characteristics are good to excellent, even for a non-power-steered car like mine. This car has in fact more interior space than some larger compacts. The rear seat is quite usable for adults. The fuel economy is extraordinary for a nonhybrid, normally-tuned gasoline car - still in the low 40 mpg measured by me, not some EPA or Toyota elucubration. The reliability is beyond reproach, even better than a 1997 Tercel I still own. This particular car has over 131000 miles in it and still not even the check engine light has come on.
Cons: It does have too much sensitivity in crosswinds, but it can be handled safely. And it rainy-road behavior is only adequate, I have to slow down then. Several components are modular and expensive, such as the rear-wheel housings - you can't disassemble them to fix damaged ball bearings. The hatch version - marketed in Canada and Europe - should have been imported to the US market, it looks quite nice. There's something to the trunk that disbalances the car's proportions and makes it look ovoid and homely, not to say ugly for many people. What really p***es me off is that the seat belts hang limp and very frequently the buckles interfere with the door closing. What's the matter, Toyota?
Overall review: This car is carefully engineered, solid and affordable. Even with its "strange" shape it is a great deal, with a high value retention. Mechanicals and body are solid and it is said that its a crashworthiness is very good. It's unfortunate that Echos are seen as student or poor people's cars. I have a professional degree and my car must take me to many job-related destinations in a day, averaging nearly 110 miles (175 km) daily, all year. I have never blamed a missing appointment on this car! Stick shift - which I have - is powerful and responsive, though the lever is at times notchy. Clutch pedal feel is smooth. My driving environment is hilly rural roads, and this Echo makes a near-perfect match. Too bad I have no p/s, since parallel parking is a chore and the car's high stance make it difficult to judge space in these maneuvers. Toyota's option packaging made it difficult to get a car with desired options. Nevertheless, it is an excellent investment and highly recommended.
best car. no problem even aftr 7.5 years!!! by lovemyecho, canada on 12/02/2012. Trim: 2005 Toyota ECHO 4-Door Sedan, Owned 7 years.
Pros: bought this 2005 echo in may/2005. today is dec 2/2012. the problem with this car??? NOT one mechanical problem !!!!!!!!!!! just regular maintenance !!!!! has about 110.000 km and still running on original brake !!!!!!! wow, what can i say about this!!! best car money can buy.
Cons: i wish i had cruise control and air conditioning!!!!!!!! my fault for not spending the extra dollars for these 2 options.
Overall review: 10/10
" The small car with the big heart " by Dominic from Bismarck Mo. on 08/27/2012. Trim: 2005 Toyota ECHO 4-Door Sedan, Owned 7 years.
Pros: SMALL CAR WITH A BIG HEART!!! My 2005 ECHO has been with me for 7 years and 160000 miles. My average gas mileage is 38 MPG city and 50 MPG highway ! I am a senior, speed over 65 MPH is not for me and I use my brakes very conservatively, always looking ahead for traffic. This is not a car for braggards and not too many macho-men would like it but with our lousy economy it is the ideal vehicle for lots of travel with maximum savings. Oh, I forgot to say that apart from regular maintenance (mostly done by me) I have not had any repairs. I hope to keep this car for a few more years and save a bundle....
Cons: It is no Mercedes nor Jaguar and the finish and trim are on the cheap side but , as said before this is a basic vehicle. You can't ask for too much in that price range.
Overall review: Great vehicle ! Low price ! Low maintenance ! Major savings on gas! What more to ask for ?
My Echo by Kathy - Calgary, Alberta, Canada on 12/19/2007. Trim: 2005 Toyota ECHO 4-Door Sedan, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It's great on gas, and it has a nice look to it and the fact that it appears small on the outside, but yet when your in it, it's very roomy and spacious is a bonus.
Cons: The fact that the power mirror button is located on the door near the dash, making it hard to adjust it from a properly seated driving position.
Overall review: This is a great little car that gives you great mileage, surprises many when they first get in - thinking they will be squished and just the overall appearance is stylish. A great buy!!!
Review ID: #520356 Is this review offensive?