2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Escape Hybrid Going Strong after 5.5 years by Habanero California on 07/07/2011. Trim: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: We live on a mountain. I've been very impressed with the performance of the Escape Hybrid up & down the mountain. The gas mileage is much better than a non-hybrid, and the quality of the car is very good. We had one problem (electric engine cooling system went out) and it was covered under our extended warranty plus they gave us a loaner car during the fix. I'm at 85,000 miles and it's going strong. My wife needs a new car and is strongly considering a 2nd Escape Hybrid. Kudos to Ford for being early (In US) to market with a great hybrid.
Cons: can't plug-in to recharge. I'd strongly encourage Ford to create a plug-in option for the Escape Hybrid.
Overall review: Great gas mileage for an SUV. Love it! I did get a Thule for the top rack as cargo space for a family of 5 is not what you'd have in an Expedition or Explorer. Also got a plastic liner for the cargo area and am really happy I did.
The Hybrid Escape: An Excellent Choice by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/22/2007. Trim: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: We average during spring, summer and fall aprox 33 mpg--it dips in the cold of winter (we live in WI) yet even in winter the average is above the non hybrid Escape mpg. It handles very well in all weather and manages loads well too.
Cons: The interior finishes seem a bit on the cheap side--fuse cover comes off--the tabs to keep the carpet down in the cargo area popped out within weeks of buying. These "cons" are far outweighed but the "pros".
Overall review: We highly recommend this vehicle. It is nice on the eye, it drives well, and it's easy on the gas. We have owned the Hybrid Escape for two years--no repairs or troubles beyond ordinary maintinance.
SUV That Bypasses Gas Stations by LGGC from Northern VA on 08/02/2006. Trim: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Excellent gas mileage. It tows my trailer with my motorcycle and while the gas mileage is reduced somewhat it is fully capable of managing the hills of I81, passing tractor-trailers and still giving me speed. Have never had it go into electric assist, even on hills. Cargo space is adequate, plenty of rear legroom and front dash is within reach. Got the upgraded 6 cd stereo and it will shake the windows, good sound with no echo effects. Foot pedals are located where your feet would naturally rest and are spaced to ensure no errors in hitting the wrong pedal.
Cons: Would have liked center roof storage - eyeglass's,etc. More storage for drinks in front and rear. Also would have been nice to have the sidewall fixtures to strap cargo netting when you only have a few packages. Wish it had MP3 hookup and more options for other electronic devices.
Overall review: I would buy it again. I have doubled my days between full-ups. Even driving half of each trip on the interstate I still get between 30 to 32 mpg. Where else can you get that gas mileage, hauling capacity and room for 5 people!
My test drive experience by Hybrid lover on 01/22/2005. Trim: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: First Hybrid SUV. Toyota has been promising highlander for an year but they seem to have sold their technology to ford and they are proposing to bring in Hybrid lexus in march 05 before the Hybrid Highlander ??
Cons: In my test drive the Vehical rolled back on uphill when on Electric motor. I had to press the accelarator repetedly to not hit the the vehical behind me. I dont know if it is only the one I drove. I dont see this mentioned in any reviews. The test drive leader made us use the hand break when idling in uphill so I'd think Ford is aware of this.
Overall review: I dont want to discourage the buyers. But test the issue I mentioned for your self. 1.Go to a steep uphill location 2.Press and hold your break for a few mins to let the Gas engine turn off. 3.Put on the hand break for safety. 4.Release the handbreak and your break. You'll see the vehical will rollback. 5.Press the accelarator repetedly and also use the handbreak to not hit the vehical behind you. I rolled back about 1 feet before I understood what is going on. If I am wrong please let me know and I'll rate the vehical best.
GreatTruk by GreatTruk from Grants on 09/15/2008. Trim: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: This car has 44,000 miles and it has zero problems. It gets 30-32.5 mpg after you learn to drive it. It mostly driven on mountains freeways. In town it gets around 33 mpg if I drive speed limits at 25-35 mph. The car is very quick off the line and passing if needed. Can't beat it in snow and ice.
Cons: Ford could better protect battery by improving rear carpet storage area. Wind noise is issue over 65 mph. GPS could be easier to learn and read. Had to wait three months for delivery. Can't tow small boat or trailer. Would like to see electric motor cruise to 35 mph.
Overall review: I rank this car in the top 5 of the two dozen cars I owned. It competes well with my Camry Hybrid. Hybrids aren't like other cars if you want electric only then you can't, "jack rabbit" off the line.