2005 Ford Focus

A great little car... with a terrible air filter! by Tori from Denver on 08/29/2011. Trim: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: When I first bought this car in 2008 I LOVED this car. I thought that it was super cute and that it handled amazing. Being the first car I have owned I still have a soft spot for this car. The speakers sound surprisingly good after adding an after-market stereo my car sounds amazing becase I have to listen to it loud. It also handles very well in snow, living in Colorado makes that a huge importance it also handled extremely well in North Dakota in January. I was so shocked that it started in -20 degree weather when my mothers 2009 Acura TSX had to be warmed before starting.
Cons: I hate the fact that everything in the interior rattles. It is the single most annoying feature of this car. Or so I thought. This car is designed with an 100,000 mi air filter. This is a 500$ part and even with a family members discount from my brother in law, a mechanic at a ford dealership, labor will still be about 500$. Never before have I heard of this and it is almost impossible to get a cold air intake in because there is a extremely sensative sensor for the transmission INSIDE the air filter. Also had to replace the entire breaking system because it was burning though break at twice the normal rate.
Overall review: Very cute car (especially in red like mine) but a cheaply made interior really takes away from the car. I think it makes a really great first car but expect to put alot of money into it. Needless to say I am saving up for a different car using the money that would have gone towards the air filter replacement as a down payment instead. My parents wanted to have my brother buy this car from me for his first car and I told him I wouldn't feel comfortable with him being in this car because I don't want a 16 yr old to worry about all these expenses.
"Focusing on the Focus" by Lee on 05/02/2011. Trim: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Even with a two door with a hatch back can still load up large items. Very peppy! Bought the car as a slightly damaged insurance car. Have to look/see to find it! Has 80,000 K and no oil leaks. Great drive!
Cons: It's an economy car! WYSIWYG
Overall review: The Ford Focus is a surprising fun car that I bought as 'just a good deal' car. I preferred to buy Ford in respect of their stand not to depend upon the Government Stimulus funds. I have purchased Fords in the past. i will buy Fords in the future!
Decent transport, cheap interior and subject to manufacturer problems. by Kansas City on 12/18/2010. Trim: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Car purchased new. Handling, power, ride and power are all very good, especially in town and at moderate highway speeds. The hatchback can carry a large-sized cargo for its limited size and has proven to be a very convenient feature. On the road power is more than sufficient but the car gets buffeted excessively by wind and vehicle air currents.
Cons: Cheap interior. Uncomfortable seats. Annoying dashboard rattles. Front seat storage console flipped about. Sunroof cut substantially into head room. Car had repeated problems with the cooling system and leaks which were repaired under warranty. At 65K miles, the throttle cable suddenly failed, causing sudden uncontrolled acceleration and a resultant freeway breakdown. Dealer would not cover repair cost, even though the wear on the cable appeared to have been a long-term problem and manufacturer defect. We strongly recommend owners and buyers have the entire throttle cable checked for damage to avoid the frightening experience of a failure.
Overall review: Peppy, nimble and convenient in-town basic transportation car. The hatchback model is very useful and a good basic local transportation car but not much of a road trip vehicle. Our vehicle, purchased new, was subject to mechanical and manufacturer issues. Ford only backed up such issues while the car was still under warranty.
Fun Car by Bill, hermitage TN on 01/21/2011. Trim: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S, Owned 6 years.
Pros: It's fun to drive, gas mileage is a consistent 33mpg. I have a 5 speed in it and it will get down the road.
Cons: Radio volumn not loud enough to drown out road noise.
Overall review: Looking forwards to the 2012 focus
piece of junk by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/28/2008. Trim: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Purchased due to reasonable price. Handles quite well.
Cons: Car now has 63,000 miles on it. Problems to date.... two alternators, fuel pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner, belt, complete transmission overhaul at 62,000 miles, right intermediate and half shaft. I afraid to see what breaks next!
Overall review: Economical to purchase, very expensive to own. Problems didn't start until just after the 36,000 mile warranty expired.