2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Prices
2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Fuel Economy
Wish the road never ends in a Spydee. by KT from Minnesota on 07/26/2009. Trim: 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: This car is a go-cart with shifter. Straight line acceleration is actually not great due to under-powered of 1.8L engine but the low inertia give some G feel. Curves, clover leaf on highway and mountainous road are tipping hazards to other cars but a playground for spydee. In fact, the g feel is amplified when hitting 50-55 mph on a tight curve using 3rd or 4th gear to keep spydee in high torque at higher RPM (just make sure you obey the traffic rules, which can be hard). I am lucky to find a used 2004 spydee with rare phantom gray pearl & red leather trim (only available in 2004 & 2005). Everyone is checking out the car (instead of me). Many have mistaken it for an expensive sport car.
Cons: Visibility with top-on is limited, with a big blind spot on driver's side. Weight distribution on this car is tail heavy-ier, so don't over-inflate the front tires (most mechanics in quick-lube won't know). During windy condition (depends on wind direction) at highway speed, slight lift could under-steer the front axle, not really a big problem (I think the spare tire is designed to anchor more weight to the front axle). Bumps, pot holes, patchy roads are the nemesis of spydee. Suspension is stiff, very rough ride under these road conditions, but it is not unexpected from a low wheel-base sport car. Getting in/out needs some get used to. Conversation in Spydee is not as good as Lexus SC430.
Overall review: All in all. Spydee is a car for driver who likes convertible fun with a true sport car feel, a fraction of the price of boxster yet practical for fuel economy (consistantly hit 30-35 mpg mix HWY+City) and everyday driving. Maintainance cost is expected to be low too (no problem so far for me so don't know yet). I put the top down every chance I could find and could not resist taking the car out first 3 weeks when I got the car. I could not think of another mid-mounted engine rear wheel drive sportcar comparable to Spydee (except for maybe a very used boxster) in this price range. Get a 2004 and above if possible because body, rear tire, rear lights, front facial had been upgraded. I guaranteed spydee will gives you the driving feel you never had before (if you never owned a porsche, lotus or MR2 or any sport cars less than 50k), a plus if you like attention. However, chick factor is low because this is not the most comfortible car to be in, get a SC430 for this purpose : P
The most fun you can have legally and with your clothes on by Mother of Two on 07/28/2008. Trim: 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Gorgeous. Quick. FUN! After owning it for two years, I still get the urge to drive it when I look at it, and have withdrawal if I don't drive it daily. This is a car for people who love the experience of DRIVING--any driving, but particularly a challenging bit of road with curves and the chance to accelerate. Even though it only has 138 hp, I can beat most everybody off a red light, and listen to them shift into fourth while I stretch out third. It's so much to drive, if there's gas in the tank, I have to use it (and I hate leaving the tank empty!).
Cons: None. I knew what little storage space it had, and I willingly accepted it and bought this car, anyway. It has enough storage to handle anything I need to haul from all of my errand-running.
Overall review: Phenomenal car! I wanted one when I first saw it in 1985, and when I found out Toyota was discontinuing it, I had to pick one up. Put the top down and crank up the music!
Older Guy but Young at Heart by Bernie from Chicago on 09/12/2006. Trim: 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Light weight, six speed sequential manual transmission, mid-engine, great gas mileage(38 mpg for expressway driving with air conditioning on during recent 3,000 mile trip), electro-hydrolic power steering(reduces power robbing belt driven types on most cars), good excelleration, great handling and excellant breaking, great style. One of a kind considering the price - mid-engine/sequential manual, two seat spyder for little money(cars with these features are usually exotics costing $100,000 and up).
Cons: Lack of storage. However, my wife and I took a recent 3,000 mile trip with surpizing ease. We took little luggage as possible and stored it in soft carry bags in the storage space behind the seats. We washed our clothes along the way. When I shop, I put the groceries on the passenger foot floor well and seat and, when my wife comes along we put the groceries between and under my/her legs and on my/her lap. Not very comfortable but, for a short distance it is doable.
Overall review: Great car for the money and one of the most fun to drive. It's a Toyota so, reliability and resale should be the best. JD Power rates it as one of the most reliable sports cars and my additional research shows that there has not been one recall in it's history to date.
SPYDER-MANIA by GRAMPS99 on 06/28/2005. Trim: 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible, Owned 1 year.
Pros: MY MR2 SPYDER IS THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED (I AM 56 YEARS OLD). IT IS FUN TO DRIVE AND GETS 34-35 MPG HIGHWAY. IT IS SO WELL BALANCED AND THE SPYDER GETS MISTAKEN FOR A PORSCHE BOXSTER. THE TOP IS EASY TO LOWER AND RAISE, EVEN FROM A SITTING POSITION. WHY IS TOYOTA STOPPING PRODUCTION????????
Cons: OTHER PEOPLE SAY NO STORAGE, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU BUY THIS CAR FOR. IF YOU WANT STORAGE, DON'T GO WITH A 2 SEATER.
Overall review: EXCELLENT. I HOPE TOYOTA HAS SOMETHING SIMILAR TO REPLACE IT WITH IN 2006!
Too much fun...if that's possible! by krn on 04/04/2005. Trim: 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible, Owned 2 years.
Pros: What's not to like? Not many on the road so many double looks on the street. I constantly get comments from people such as "Great car!" Simple interior controls but the quality is unbeatable.
Cons: The same as anyone who owns this car...lack of trunk space.
Overall review: Beautiful, uncommon and exciting to drive. By far the best bang for your buck!