2004 Volkswagen GTI

2004 Volkswagen GTI Prices
2004 Volkswagen GTI Fuel Economy
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next
Still The Best Pocket Rocket by Mr Fantastic From Tacoma on 02/17/2010. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T, Owned 6 years.
Pros: A great combination of performance, utility and comfort. The acceleration and handling are excellent- the hatchback enables me to carry 8' long lumber with the hatch closed. Gas mileage is good, especially since I have my foot in the turbo most of the time.
Cons: We have owned 13 volkswagens of one sort or another over the years and quality has been an issue sometimes, so I paid $2K extra for a 100K bumper to bumper warranty. At 45K the ignition coils went out- fortunately I was able to limp home and my total out of pocket expense was low. The original Michelins were not great performers, so I replaced the fronts with Firestones, which made a huge difference. Also the seat back release levers broke off, but were replaced under warranty.
Overall review: Overall I am still thrilled with this car and expect to keep it until the doors fall off! For me performance is worth some quality issues. If you are looking for quality 1st, I would have recommended Toyota in the past- maybe Honda now!
the hotness. by rabbitlova from new mexico on 11/28/2006. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I love the way this car drives and how comfortable the interior is.
Cons: There are some electrical problems with on the interior (turn signal won't turn off; panel lights not operating; interior lights shorting out) that were expensive to have repaired.
Overall review: I would definetly recommend this vehicle to anyone who enjoys driving fast without having to spend a ton of money.
Review ID: #502085 Is this review offensive?
fun, practical by Dapp on 03/14/2006. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I love the Golf ever since I remember. I bought the GTI without any research, I just had to have one. I'm glad it stands up high in value and features against others. It's been 2.5 years and still runs as new. Most of the bugs have been fixed with this model; if you are buying used go with the 2003 model or newer, you'll get 180HP and no coil issues, falling windows etc. This car is really well built, solid, quiet, quick, lots of torque (passing cars is fun!), the turbo pull and its whistle always put a smile on my face. Really fun to drive. Really practical, I carry a full drumkit (and the drummer) every weekend. Cruise control is really smooth.
Cons: Tails a little in sharp turns. Stock stereo headunit is no good, CDs sound distorted. The stock Pirelli tires that came with mine are very noisy, I think they put ultra-high performance summer tires which I don't like.
Overall review: great car, I would buy it again.
Practical with ZIP by Steve on 01/27/2006. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Smooth peppy engine nicely mated to a 6 speed manual transmission. Stiffer body than Jetta which helps handling. Great for getting in and out of small spaces. Rides much better than a Mini for every day use.
Cons: Brakes are a bit undersized for vehicle if you drive it hard. For normal driving, its fine.
Overall review: Excellent value, practical with a bit of zip! I own a Porsche 911 and BMW M3 and I would never class the GTI as a sports car, but it does have a wannabe sporty flavor.
Speedy Hatchback With Great Features by supergengo from Long Beach, CA on 12/02/2005. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Terrific engine, tight suspension, gutsy brakes, and precision steering. A blast to drive, especially on twisty, demanding roads. Excellent 360 degree vision (with the rear headrests removed)
Cons: Almost nothing. My right-door speaker crackles when there's lots of bass and I keep meaning to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed but somehow, I never get around to it.
Overall review: Very solid buy. Fun to drive, holds its value, and the hatch is very practical. Not great if you plan on having friends in the backseat (for travel, not you know what) for extended periods of time.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next