1997 Ford Ranger

"Built to Last" by Weekend warrior northen Ca. on 02/23/2012. Trim: 1997 Ford Ranger XLT Reg. Cab Long Bed 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Well worth the money I paid for it. I bought it new and have 363,000 original miles on it. V-6 3.0 maybe not the power of the 4.0 but good mileage. No one not even Toyota has a long bed and that means a lot to me. I would give it a 10 if Ford's electric parts were better. Clutch went out at about 180,000 and took out throwout bearing and am now looking at putting in a syncro kit but no major rebuild. Front wheel bearings and only on second set of brakes and original radiator and on my 4th set of tires. Not bad for 1/2qt of oil every 3,000 mi. or 3 months whichever comes first.
Cons: Ford's Electric could be better. Finally had to replace all the dash lights and wipers used to come on by themselves but read that is common with a lot of ford models but is minor to me. Its a truck not a Suburban assault vehicle. Still looks good and had offers to buy until they find out mileage!
Overall review: I would buy it again, Especially over the higher priced Toyota. I differently got my moneys worth. Wish they still did the 3.0 V6 for the power and mileage 4 cylinder wouldn't last as long. Good mileage, decent power, long bed and holds the weight, better interior trim than a GM. (open the door and look at end of dash, behind seats and under seats not cheap or unfinished look even if it doesn't show. Solid well built body, best rated is Nissan! look at the plastic tailgate. Decent looks, not the prom queen but not the ugly duckling either.
CHEAP CITY HAULER by An MSN Autos Consumer on 11/11/2011. Trim: 1997 Ford Ranger XLT Reg. Cab Short Bed 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: EASY TO REPAIR.FIXED ALL THE BROKEN STUFF MYSELF WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM THE INTERNET.
Cons: GAS MILAGE NOT SO GOOD FOR A 4 BANGER BUT I HAVE 190,000 MILES ON MINE
Overall review: THIS TRUCK WAS WORTH THE 2 GRAND I PAID FOR IT
A nice pickup with some go by An MSN Autos Consumer on 06/27/2011. Trim: 1997 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: I love this truck because every morning it starts right up. It is pretty comfortable and has had only minor fixes along the way. I like that the price is lower than a toyota and it has a lot more go than the toyota V6. The 5 speed transmission has only gon through 1 clutch in in its 120,000 miles i have on it and it was due to bad driving habits on my part.
Cons: Not very much to look at but its a ranger what can you expect. not very good electronics have had to replace door locks and windows roll up very slowly
Overall review: I would recommend this ranger to anyone that wants a smal pickup that has some scoot. It has only cost me and extra $3,500 in repairs in the 8 years i have owned it (far less than my friends toyota) It is a good little truck that isnt too hard on your wallet
amazing by speed racer on 12/05/2010. Trim: 1997 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: -handling -everything
Cons: bad radio
Overall review: i love this car and wouldnt trade it for anything else
Dependable and just an all around good truck. by Tom Hot Springs, Arkansas on 07/04/2009. Trim: 1997 Ford Ranger XLT Reg. Cab Short Bed 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I've had this truck since it was brand new. It is a great truck and has required only very minor repairs. It is dependable, still looks good and gets good fuel mileage (V-6 3.0). The fuel gauge went out shortly after I purchased it but that is not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. Insurance is REEAL cheap for this model and that is a plus for me. I've had many offer to sell and have declined all of them. I'd recommend this truck to anyone wanting a dependable truck.
Cons: The factory shocks wore out at about 25,000 and I replaced them. Other then that only the clutch master cylinder went out recently and I replaced it fairly easily.
Overall review: Good truck!!!