2004 Mazda MPV

Not what I thought it would be. by Mom from PA on 03/23/2008. Trim: 2004 Mazda MPV ES, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I love the styling, it's an eye catcher. It's easier to back into parking spaces, the van is thinner, and the view out of side and back windows is better than the caravan. The radio/CD player controls on the steering wheel are great, too. The power sliding doors make getting kids and groceries in and out more convenient. The back seats move around easily, and I can quickly fold down the back seats if I need to stow larger items.
Cons: 3 of the 6 coils have gone bad, but I have manufacturer's warranty. I've heard it's $200 to replace them. With only 45K on it I was disappointed to see the Check Engine light come on for the coils 3x, I hoped it would be trouble free for another 10K miles. Gas mileage isn't great. I average about 17 MPG. The power doors get stuck if it's cold out, I press the button to open one, if theres ice in the tracks it won't open, then when I push to close it I find after driving the interior light comes on signalling the door is ajar.I'm afraid when I park it somewhere the light will come on and drain the battery. The back seats are only good for children, there's not much leg room for adults.
Overall review: A sharp looking vehicle, and nice to haul kids and their stuff around, but I'm disappointed in the workmanship. I am wondering when the other 3 coils will die on me, and don't look forward to getting kids in the side doors in the winter time.
Good Ride for The Family by FamilyGuy on 11/20/2012. Trim: 2004 Mazda MPV ES, Owned 2 years.
Pros: 7 passenger. Removable/folding seats. Size is just right. Good handling. Good acceleration. Good on gas for a minivan. Pretty reliable/smooth running at 158,000 miles.
Cons: Individual coil packs randomly go bad. Faulty PCV hose that ruptures causing massive vacuum leak.
Overall review: The Cons are known problems. Pretty good family ride. Great for cross country trips with kids.
Good Minivan but beware of the ignition COILS problem -%2 by Honest Opinion on 04/09/2009. Trim: 2004 Mazda MPV LX, Owned 5 years.
Pros: good size minivan; price (thousands cheaper than Toyota & Honda); Sporty looking (I got the sports packages);
Cons: Ignition Coils; Ignition Coils; Ignition COILS!!!.....well you get my point
Overall review: Will everyone who have a problem with the ignition coils on the MPV please file a complaint with Mazda, Consumer Affair & NHTSA. I have done a lot of research online and it seems like the COILS on the Mazda MPV is defective and should be put on Mazda's recall list. I was having problem with my MPV several months ago & my mechanic did a diagnostic test and found out that the coils on the back is have failed. I have pay over $600+ to replace them. And just last week, the check engine light came on again and this time the diagnostic test show the front coils have caused a misfire. This time around it cost me another $400+ to replace them. According to the reliability data on carpoint & other Mazda forums, it tells you that the failure of the ignition coil on the MPV is a common occurrence. I think the MPV is a good minivan that serves many purposes. Just the right size & you can't beat the price on it. I guess with the price that I saved, I pay it all back on the repair.
Over 165,000 Miles-Reliable After 3 Known Problems Repaired by Jim on 07/15/2013. Trim: 2004 Mazda MPV ES, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Over 165,000 miles and counting... Handles great for a mini-van. Great for long family trips. Drove over 3800 round trip miles cross country comfortably with wife and 2 kids 2 years in a row. Averaged between 24 and 28 MPG highway.
Cons: Coil packs, cooling fan control module which caused fan to run constantly , and faulty PVC vac hose known issues. Replaced all coil packs with Ford original ($100) during tune up spark plug replacement (for guaranteed reliability), fixed the PVC hose ($40), and had dealer fix fan module covered under 3 month dealer warranty. Runs like a champ now.
Overall review: Motor is solid. Runs great after known problem are repaired.
Lemon van with poor customer service!!!! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/15/2009. Trim: 2004 Mazda MPV LX, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I loved this van when I bought it new in 2004. It was cheaper than the Toyota or Honda. & had lots of features. I love the size, the interior, the radio controls on the steering wheel etc.
Cons: After all of the engline coils had to be replaced, a fuel pump, water pump-the list goes on. It was towed twice before the warranty was even up. I contacted Mazda cust. serv., & they were extremely rude. I told the woman that I felt the van was unsafe, as it was stalling at intersections & my children were inside. She basically said that I was getting it fixed under warranty, so there was nothing else they could do. I told her I felt the engine was defective. I ended up contacting a lemon law attorney. Mazda would not take the vehicle back because it had just gone over warranty, but they did agree to a settlement without admitting any fault. I traded it in for a Nissan ASAP.
Overall review: If you are having the same problems, you need to call Mazda customer service & complain. Maybe if enough people do they will recall this vehicle. I read reviews on different sites all compaining about the engine & the coils. Also, the engine is not a Mazda engine, it is a Ford, which may explain the problems. Ford bought Mazda, so now some of their cars use Ford parts. I was mad because they would not just buy it back from me & admit it was defective. Once I contacted the attorney, then they called me & told me if I dropped the lawsuit, they would let me trade in my MPV & pay it off so I could buy another new Mazda. At that point, I didn't want another Mazda.