1996 Ford Escort

1996 Ford Escort Prices
1996 Ford Escort Fuel Economy
Best car by Gonzilla on 06/04/2011. Trim: 1996 Ford Escort Base, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: This is a fantastic car! Mine gets around 40 MPG city, and 50 highway. It has an amazing turn radius that can pull it into any parking space.
Cons: Only negative I can think of is that the fuel gauge is inaccurate.
Overall review: Overall a very amazing car. It's a very small, light car, and is very fun to drive. It won car of the year for a reason. I'd recommend this to anyone.
If you need a car desperately and are low on cash, buy this one. by Samantha, Las Vegas on 05/02/2010. Trim: 1996 Ford Escort LX 4-Door, Owned 6 years.
Pros: - Metal frame, handles well in crashes. I was stuck between two large SUV's, with only bumper damage and absolutely no injury - lasts forever with the right amount of tinkering - fast acceleration - decent gas mileage/ 200mpt
Cons: - I had to replace the compressor for the air 3 times, and it still would not work. Twice the compressor vaporized my timing belt, clutching up and stopping. - Parts are almost impossible to find. The driver window went out on me and I could not fix it because Ford stops making parts after so many years, and it was a ford-exclusive part. - Sensors are impossible upkeep in this car. I've had to replace all of them, some of them more than once in the 5 years I own the car. Within days, the check engine light would come back on. This car was impossible to smog. It took weeks of tinkering each time just to get it to pass emissions. -definitely not equipped for wet weather. At all.
Overall review: It is a decent car. I had it my entire college career, and it made it where I needed to go. It had 90something miles on it when I got it, and 110 when I sold it last week. It made it back and forth from Nevada to Oregon just fine, no trouble on the highways. In fact, it usually performed better on the highway period. I don't know if I'd ever buy another version of it, but it served its purpose to me, and was a good car while I had it for the most part. In all honesty, I mostly have sentimental attachments to it. It didn't run as well as it could have, but it was my car.
Safe and Reliable by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/03/2009. Trim: 1996 Ford Escort LX 4-Door, Owned 4 years.
Pros: 150,000 miles, I still have only minimal repairs It is my 4th escort, I didn't like the 2001 model, I had far more trouble with it. I bought it used....
Cons: If I want another one, they are hard to find.
Overall review: Good, safe reliable. It is just as good as the 84 model but with less mechanical problems. One problem, the pesky check engine light....seems to be a problem on these from what I hear.
"MY LITTLE WHITE BABY" by Tim from Albany,NY on 02/26/2009. Trim: 1996 Ford Escort LX 2-Door, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Ive owed this car from factory,through the yrs. Ive put bigger tires and rims and a 1500watt stereo.I get 48mpg H-way,35 city.Handling is tight,abs stops on a dime.The sleek body design cut through the wind with ease with a good wax.I have no rust or dents.I intend on keeping this car for ever.
Cons: The engine could have been a little bigger,but with the right tweaking,you can get some more horses.
Overall review: This car is soo dependable Ive driven south to fla,and west to Chicago.Theres not a trip I would hesitate.
Great little hatchback by peggy on 03/30/2004. Trim: 1996 Ford Escort Base, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Never had any problems! Timing chain was replaced at 90,000 miles as a preventative measure! Great value for the $.
Overall review: Terrific