2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

"Best SUV on the Market and Keeps Getting Better" by audslaw from Ohio on 01/04/2012. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: My husband purchased my Sante Fe new with the idea of finding a well dependable car since I traveled alot for work and caring for my mother. This car far out rates any car I have owned and its accessibility for handicap person is superb. I have kept up with the maintenance per manufacturer, and have never encountered any problems. Love it Love it Love it !! HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Cons: Absolutly Nothing
Overall review: Best SUV I have ever driven and I've had 2 others... Explorer and Rouge
Right for the money by Brent from Kentucky on 10/03/2011. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: For a small SUV it has plenty of room, engine has a good sound, unique styling, smooth ride, dependable, simple gauges, simple a/c controls, has a shiftronic (similar to manual shift), excellent for the money, low cost maintenance, easy in and out loading, plenty of room for 4, back seat has center folding arm rest, rear ac hookup, easy do it yourself maintenance, high safety rating, full size spare tire, cools quickly, heats very quickly, heated mirrors.
Cons: Small engine, early signs of exterior rusting (mostly undercarriage), NO ABS, No traction control, location of spare tire tools (directly behind the rear seat and not easily accessible), MPG, easy loss of traction of front tires in tight turns, considerable change in handling when loaded with 4-5 people and or with luggage (much longer acceleration time, need for sooner breaking and more breaking distance), horrible handling in snow (fwd), soft suspension, lack of interior and exterior quality, small rocks and debris get easily stuck in and around the tire wheel well, lack of gears (only has 4 so must run at higher rpm on interstate).
Overall review: Overall the Santa Fe is excellent for the money. So far with 45,000 miles, no problems or need to replace any parts. Plenty of room and excellent ride comfort. Ideal for day to day commute. On average it gets 24mpg. High crash test rating. The worst part about the vehicle is no ABS (mostly for winter driving).
Great Value for the $$$! by Stan in Georgia on 01/24/2009. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.7L, Owned 5 years.
Pros: 1) Reliability - We bought our GLS (2.7L) brand new, and it has proven to be very reliable! Have owned it just over 4 years, and have not had any major problems. 2) Looks - I like the styling of the Santa Fe - it does not look like your standard SUV. Plus, I LOVE the red color! 3) Ride quality - It gives a nice, smooth ride, although certainly not as quiet as many of the more expensive SUV's. 4) Room - For a "small" SUV, the Santa Fe has a good amount of room. You can fit 4 adults very comfortably, & as long as you don't have 5 real big people, you can ride 5 in it. We took it from Georgia to California and back (w/ 2 dogs even) with no problem.
Cons: Our biggest complaint is more an annoyance than a problem. The gas gauge occasionally shows a completely incorrect reading (ie, almost Empty when we have just filled up). So we always reset the trip meter when we fill up. Also, the lights on the stereo occasionally go out for no reason, leaving you no way of switching AM/FM/CD. (Can usually be fixed by turning stereo Off then On.) Dealer could never get the problems to reproduce, so they never got fixed under warranty. Plus, even with the smaller 2.7L engine, our gas mileage has still been pretty poor. Usually around 16-18 MPG in town, & 22-24 MPG on highway trips. (Not quite as good as advertised.) Sunroof is very noisy at highway speed.
Overall review: Overall I would give the Santa Fe very high marks, particularly for the money spent on it. We now have 68,000 miles on it, and have had no major problems. The brakes seem to wear out fairly quickly, so we have had to replace them twice. But other than the small electrical issues mentioned above, that's it. While it's obviously not up there among some of the luxury SUV's, you get great bang for your buck w/ this SUV. I would absolutely recommend this car!
Be careful when you purchase ask lot of questions of these. These are facts by Santa fe owner, Upstate New York on 04/03/2008. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Vehicle is what all are proclaiming it to be. Yes it is!! Our 04 Santa Fe has seen the East coast from upstate NY to the bottom of Florida several times. Nice acceleration and establishment into selected speeds. Interior is well rounded and within reach for all. Handling is far to none the best. For this you will not be disappointed.
Cons: 68,000, Just went through scheduled maintenance and repairs. Repair shop opened Hundai website looking for recommended Scheduled Repair Bulletins and found numerous. However the most of importance was the "TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT" recommendation at 60,000 miles without fail. This we were never advised when we brought in for sched. free oil & filter change..until now. At a tune of $750.00 and we had it done....We then told mechanic to go through other maitenance Bulletins assuring all is OK but this check revealed another important Bulletin for "EXCESSIVE ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION & USAGE." OK so so far we have moved on to a repair bill in excess of $1200.00..
Overall review: I will not recommend your purchase of this vehicle until Hundai does the correct customer Service notification to all Service Bulletins to the buying public of their vehicles.......
by Riding high in Vancouver Canada on 06/22/2004. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.7L, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Smooth car like ride with excellent visibilty, great stock sound system and pretty good fuel mileage for a SUV. Also has alot of room with versatile cargo space. Being on the Westcoast, FWD is all that I need, it also saves on fuel and seems to have better acceleration than AWD.
Cons: Nothing so far, i've only had this vehicle a few weeks.
Overall review: Having researched over a dozen vehicles for the past month, I couldn't find anything close to the value of what I recieved for the money that I spent on this vehicle. When you take into consideration the warranty (best in the country), price (lowest of all SUV's when you add up the extra options), quality (tied with Honda) the choice to buy a Santa Fe was a no brainer.