2004 Hyundai Accent

2004 Hyundai Accent Prices
2004 Hyundai Accent Fuel Economy
EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS! by Experienced Driver (Cars, trucks, and motorcycles) in multiple countries on 05/17/2011. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4-Door, Owned 3 years.
Pros: -Great value for the money! Uses less oil (4.5qts) than a normal car so I have spare oil in case I need to top off -Another plus, replacement parts are EXTREMELY cheap for this car. I had a small accident where it only cost $350 to replace hood, fender, headlight, front wraparound bumper, and sub-bumper support. Cheaper to not claim it on insurance! -When you need new tires, those are cheap too since they only use 13" tires -Driving seat is comfortable with an arm rest, even for a big guy like me who is 6' and 225 -It has in-cabin air-filters for allergies/dust -Maintenance is simple to perform; I've changed oil, sparkplugs, brakes, and brake fluid; all no problems
Cons: -No cruise control; it has power windows/mirrors, decent stereo, but no cruise control -Sheetmetal is very thin and if you lean on it, you will flex it and possibly make a permanent dent -Has a timing BELT, not a chain, and is an interference-fit engine. Recommended replacement every 60k miles. If you don't, and the belt breaks, and pistons come up while valves go down...major expensive engine work -Some cheap parts; had 3 outside door handles (different doors) break on me within 4 months, all with the same problem -Cupholder placement is awkward; covers up the a/c controls and the little storage pocket underneath -Transmission shift points and gear ratio could be better
Overall review: This is a great little car! Bought it from a neighbor @54k miles to replace my end-of-lease truck and, due to job uncertainty and high gas prices, needed a fuel efficient vehicle. For the next 2-1/2 years I averaged 29-30mpg in the city, with no highway trips. Six months ago I took a job 100 miles away and started commuting. This car is rated at 31mpg on the highway. PFFTT! I got 34-35mpg easily...with an automatic! I tracked my mileage, my gas purchases, everything. I consistently got 34-35mpg@75mph, even when dealing with rush hour traffic at both ends of my commute. Now has 97k miles but this car is so cheap to maintain and operate, it's a keeper. Overall, this is an extremely economical car to operate. Most people don't keep more than 1 driveable vehicle and trade it out when it gets high in mileage. I'll be keeping this one as a commuter and get myself a truck to haul stuff when doing projects. No regrets buying this vehicle.
Transmission Nightmare! by Sarah from PA on 09/21/2009. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4-Door, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Great gas mileage. >30mpg. Surprisingly spacious for a compact car.
Cons: The transmission went out at 78,000 miles. It costed $2,000 to get a new transmission. It's getting ready to go again at 106,000 miles. I still owe $2,800 and the new transmission is going to be another $2K! It appears that down shifting into 2nd is the cause of the problem. And once you do it, it's all over from there.
Overall review: Very unreliable. Don't buy this car!
You get what you pay for. by Racer on 10/14/2004. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 3-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: It runs.
Cons: poor quality
Overall review: Don't buy it. You get what you pay for.
Great little car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 11/02/2009. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4-Door, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Gotta love the fuel efficiency. Even better is the reliability. With 80000+ miles on the odometer, it's still running smooth and easy. I've been told that my silver Accent is a "beautiful car." The paint shows no sign of wear, definitely none of the deterioration that silver finishes tend to suffer. No leaks, no mechanical problems.
Cons: This model's shared armrest is a pain in the...a...rm. My partner complains he hits his head alot on the low door opening. If you're 5'9+, this could be an issue, and don't try to stuff big people in the back, it won't work. The gas cap door sticks. Not a big deal.
Overall review: I love my Hyundai, and hope to get another 80000 miles out of it. Definitely one of the better buys in my experience.
Reliable and very affordable vehicle! by pamedict from Southwestern Pennsylvania on 04/02/2009. Trim: 2004 Hyundai Accent GT 3-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This is the second Hyundai Accent we have in our family. We bought my son the first one to drive back and forth to college in the summer of 2008. It is a basic 2002 GLS model with no glitz or glamour with a five speed transmission. He is getting 35-36 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg around town. I was surprised how much room the vehicle had for a big person like me. I'm almost 6'4", 280+ and I can get in and out of the car without too much difficulty. It's a neat sporty little vehicle that provides him with an affordable vehicle to drive daily with relatively low maintenance so far. It led me to look for a second one that I recently purchased in Feb. of '09 that is a 2004 3-door GT model.
Cons: Not much actually! You get what you pay for, and we got a good deal from a used car dealer I know for about $2500. Put a new battery in it, put on new tires, changed the oil etc., and you put gas in it and let it go! I was surprised how well it went in the snow on some bad days we had. The linkage froze up on our one four wheel drive vehiclea that was sitting outside when the temperature dropped below -10 degrees and he had to take the car to school. Did a decent job for just a front wheel drive over some pretty poorly maintained roads that he drives daily. Sits a little low to the ground but I bet with good set of Firestone Blizzak tires that you can get studded for winter it should go!
Overall review: I liked the first Accent so much I kept my eyes open and found a 2004 GT 3-door model that was a one owner. Looked like it was taken care of by the previous owner, so I negotiated the price with the used car dealer and got what I think is a good little economical car for my daughter to drive when she turns 16 later this year. In the mean time I'm driving it back and forth to work a distance of 100+ miles daily and I'm getting around 33-34 mpg on the highway. I put a new battery in it, some good tires and did the other maintenance items and so far so good! Fun little car to drive for the price and if you're looking for something economical that is decent looking, then look no further. I will tell you it is a lot harder to find one with an automatic transmission than a standard five speed that a lot of them come with. I have the bigger / wider alloy wheels and that allowed me to put on a wider tire that improves the handling and ride of the vehicle. I like the old body style better!