2004 Ford Explorer

Run, don't walk away from the piece of Garbage. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/07/2008. Trim: 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: This is a good looking and comfortable vehicle, esp. on long trip
Cons: Good luck getting anywhere without a mechanical breakdown. This was my ninth car ownership and by far the most costly. Goggle "04 Ford Explorer" and "transmission". You will see that I am not alone.
Overall review: This was my second explorer. The first I purchased second hand from a friend whiich was a basic Sport model with a manual transmission. When I traded up to this car, the car had thirty six thousand miles and the the factory warrenty had just expired. The car experienced more mechical issues for a car with less then fifty thousand miles over any car I've owned in twenty six years. I will also say that the service manager at Courtesy Lincoln Mercury in Conyers, GA should be prosecuted for frauld. The fact that Ford would employ sure a terrible individual indicates to me that this is a company only deserves bad word of mouth. Welcome to the information age!!! Do yourself a favor and buy an Acura.
Buy Cautiously by Cindi the Explorer on 09/28/2011. Trim: 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Nice Space, Comfortable Seats, Great Visability, Nice Std. Options, Decent Gas Mileage for the size of vehicle.
Cons: This is the 6th Explorer that I have owned since 1993, and actually this is the only one that I have had any problems with. Yes, the front of my hood is peeling, and as other owners have said, "The Customer Service from Ford is very poor". I agree, I purchased my Explorer as used with only 32K on it at 2 years old. I am having problems with the Transmission, Rear End, Front Sun Visors, and the Rear Gate which will litterly "explode" if the panel under the window cracks....which they all do.
Overall review: Handsome Vehicle, comfortable and roomy, but pay close attention to the transmission and rear end before buying.
not worth the headaches by techmech on 11/06/2012. Trim: 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0L 2WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: nothing
Cons: first of all, the transmission is a shoddy design with numerous problems. the transmission becomes very problematic in that it will have severe problems going into reverse and not long after overdrive and 3rd gear. ford will not recognize that the mechanical design of the transmission is severely flawed.and even after a rebuild it will quickly return to the same shape. my advice would be not to buy this year model. if you don't believe me, i invite you to look up several forums for the explorer and you will see the same problem across the board with THOUSANDS of owners. oh and by the way i have been an ASE certified technician for over 20 years so i think i know what i'm talking about!
Overall review: very dissatisfied
We love our Explorer by Don on 02/01/2009. Trim: 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6L 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Short turning radius. Excellent towing abilities. Styling. Comfort. Acceleration. Actually we like just about everything about the vehicle.
Cons: Inability to check transmission fluid level. 3rd seat isn't very comfortable and riding in the 3rd seat is quite noisy.
Overall review: Have owned the 2004 Explorer over 2 years (15000 miles) and previously owned a 2002 Explorer for about 5 years (120000 miles). Between the two vehicles we have towed a 30 foot camper trailer for over 40000 miles (with probably half of that in mountainous terrain) with no problems. We get between 10 and 12 mpg towing and between 20 and 21 mpg on highways.
User of x2 2004 Ford Explorer comments by Wolf@saipancell.cell on 10/21/2005. Trim: 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Good feel, Style, layout
Cons: Gas consumption Problematic: Left Rear window motor's gone out 3x, 2nd row Bench Latch problems, Interior metal work showing rust after 1 year in tropical environment, 3" crack appeared on rear hatch under window hatch. Fighting ford for warranty work
Overall review: Love the car, Hate the maintenance Hassles.