2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Awesome by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/02/2004. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned less than 1 year.
Overall review: great car
An expensive dud. -- STAY AWAY by Disappointed in the Midwest on 07/11/2007. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Nice looking vehicle.
Cons: Very poor quality. German's over-engineered a vehicle too quickly (to get into the SUV market) without minimal adequate testing. Stay away from these vehicles.
Overall review: German's over-engineered this vehicle without testing it properly. My vehicle was assembled in Hungary and not Germany. I owned my vehicle approximately 30 months. Seemed like every 3 months something new would go wrong. I will say that I have had no major engine issues. Some of the things that went wrong (that I can think of): stereo system had to be replaced, seat belts defective!, Dunlop tires -- an absolute joke (use Continental), rear windshield wiper parts fell off, catalyltic converter replaced, rear door hings replaced, electrical system never worked properly -- poorly programmed, paint around door handle started peeling. IT IS INSANELY EXPENSIVE TO GET SERVICE WORK DONE ON THESE VEHICLES. A new key will set you back $170+. I thought the ride was good. Good turning radius. My 17 inche tires did very well in rain. But the Dunlop tires had to be replaced every 20,000 miles. If Volk was smart they'd voluntarily extend the warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles.
Terrible Touaregs by JB on 11/17/2005. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I love the way it looks.
Cons: poor repair history. interior design defects. poor gas mileage. so many alarm indicators that one is always flashing at you. Poor performance in the sound system. Can not be serviced at the Jiffy lube.($85.00 at dealer for oil change and 2 days to complete)Small interior. Inability to diagnose and repair easily.
Overall review: I am totally dissatisfied with the touareg's performance. As I near the end of my warranty, I wonder how much the continuous repairs will cost me.
Review ID: #481906 Is this review offensive?
Be careful, beauty is not skin deep. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/31/2005. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This SUV looks better than it is. Quality fit and finish. Handles well.
Cons: V6 is way under powered, and it doesn't get close to the posted MPG. Constantly had computer issues, every 5K service I would have to complain about the same problems to no relief. When I finally decided to dump it, the word was out on them and the resale is falling through the floor.
Overall review: I've heard the 2005's have cleared up many of the issues I had, but still look around. I'm rolling in a new 4Runner V-8 Limited now, which I should have got in the first place.
ULTIMATE WINTER SUV by DOWN HILL RACER FROM UTAH on 07/11/2008. Trim: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The all-wheel drive, good on snowy and ice roads, also the heated seats are great abd the a/c works very well in the rear seating area. I like the way the vehicle sits high on the road giving me good visabilty
Cons: The original tires did not last 18k miles, mpg could be a little better
Overall review: THIS IS A GREAT CAR, GREAT VEHICLE TO TAKE SKIING