2004 Jaguar XJ Series

"Value to the MAX" by Fred from Dayville on 01/27/2011. Trim: 2004 Jaguar XJ Series XJ8, Owned 7 years.
Pros: The XJ-8 is an elegant car that makes you feel special! The exterior is beautiful and the dash is also. It is surprising that these cars don't hold their value in light of the fact that they are so reliable; however, this means you can drive a car that "feels" like $70,000 but pay state and local taxes on $20,000! The normally aspirated engine actually scared me one day when I 'nailed' it. WOW, I blew by the car in front of me which soon became a small dot in the rear view mirror.
Cons: I'm 6'1" and the seat is uncomfortable. My wife thinks the seat is the most comfortable seat she has ever sat in and she's 5'7". The seats did change in later years. Be sure to sit in the seat for 20 or 30 minutes before buying.
Overall review: Get a used one and spend an extra $300 to have a trusted mechanic go over it from head to toe: you won't regret it!
Reminds me of old dysfunctional relationships by Mr. Dearborn on 01/25/2012. Trim: 2004 Jaguar XJ Series XJR, Owned 8 years.
Pros: The car has a very good engine and delivers lots of power efficiently. Great styling, I love its curves.
Cons: Air suspension doesn't quite work, it just doesn't feel right in the corners and is expensive to replace.
Overall review: There are lots of things to go wrong with this car and fixing it takes most of the fun out of ownership. Cars will have issues sometimes but this one seems to be one continuous string of issues (not with the drivetrain but with everything else). Jaguar is a fantastic design company but a poor engineering company, they're not good with the details. Realize when you buy this that things will go wrong and fixing them will cost at least twice your high-side expectations. Honestly, I get the same feeling thinking about this car as I did with some old girlfriends, pretty but with some real issues...
Great car by Stan - Orlando on 01/05/2011. Trim: 2004 Jaguar XJ Series Vanden Plas, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The little extras in the VP, like the folding mirrows [in & down], adjustable pedals, heated steering wheel and rear seats are nice luxury features. The DVD screen in the head rest is well placed also. Performance and fuel usage [20 MPG overall - c&h] is decent for this size car.
Cons: Transmission shifts are to low [close to geather] between 1st and 2nd gear. Nav screen w/audio & climate incorperated into the same display, doesn't like cold weather [will roll on ocassion].
Overall review: Beats my old 1986 XJ6 w/a "GM 350" and 4 sp auto, since it still had some old lucas wiring problems. My VP w/a Ford/Jag 4.2 is a very efficient package. A lot better marriage than Crysler and M-B.
It's a special car and feels it. by Jagdriver, Tucson AZ on 12/02/2010. Trim: 2004 Jaguar XJ Series XJR, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Traditional luxury. German competitors are too austere and tech-centered while this charmer is warm and seems somehow special. After showing off his new MB CLS 550 AMG I walked a friend over to check out my own supercharged hot rod, clearly impressing him with the car's welcoming interior and timeless rippling sheetmetal. "Wow. Luxury." were his first two sentences. It is a civilized and refined machine but leaps and plays ferociously with little pushing. It's the perfect balance of posh ride and potent performance. I thoroughly love the car.
Cons: The forward alert that senses and alerts driver to rapidly-approaching obstacles sometimes chimes as if sensing ghost-cars during wide-open freeway drives. This happens rarely, but may occur even if the alert is turned off.
Overall review: I have to suppose that BMW and MB outsell Jag 10 or more to one in the United States. Actual figures are probably available but I don't care enough to look them up. Maybe the tally is more lopsided, judging on the uncommonness of seeing the British brand on the road, but I have no idea why the jags lag. The Jags are permeated with an intangible charm that will never be captured by the Germans, no matter how many dozens of LED-lighted buttons they cram on to their dashboards. Highways, by-ways, and Wal-mart parking lots are filled with Beemers and Benzs and in their plenty they become so anonymous as to almost be invisible. But when you spot a Jag, you'll find your eyes following the rare special car.
GREEAAT CAT!!! by Alex F from the OC on 09/18/2012. Trim: 2004 Jaguar XJ Series XJ8, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I now have 183,000 miles on my 2004 XJ8 and still have to pinch myself that it is still completely reliable. All I do is change the oil every 10,000 miles with synthetic oil and rotate the tires. THAT'S IT!! I do mostly open highway driving and get 25+ miles per gallon. The tires last 60,000 miles a set, the car is still as rattle and noise free as when I bought it. Very few maint;enance issues. I can't imagine a car that's cheaper to keep. I believe I'll get at least 250,000 miles out of it.
Cons: I wish it had bluetooth and iPhone connectivity and the gauges can be a little hard to read when the sun is on them. Nothing else to dislike.
Overall review: This is probably the best value car for someone who is on the road a lot. Comfortable, luxurious, economical, and very fast. I still love it.