2004 Toyota Matrix

Disappointing Matrix by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/04/2009. Trim: 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I purchased this car new in 2004 for it's combination of performance, flexibility and gas mileage. The car has comfortable seats. I bought my Matrix XRS fully loaded with everything except the navigation system. The car is fun to drive.
Cons: This was the fifth new car I purchased in my life and by far the most expensive to maintain. Other than expected basic maintenance (tires, brakes, oil...) I had to do the following: replace neck into gasoline tank because of rust at 52000 miles (cost was over 1000), replace wheel bearings at 82,000 miles (cost 700). Replace clutch at 60,000 (cost 1,600 - I have driven a clutch for 30 years and this is the first clutch I replaced), transmission went at 87,000 and cost was estimated at 3,200. I learned that transmission problems are not uncommon with this model and there is a group trying to get a class action suit against Toyota. I sold the car at a loss instead.
Overall review: I planned on keeping this car for much longer than I did, but had to get rid of it because of reliablity issues. I have owned products from Honda, GM and Ford. They were all superior products compared to this car. I did have problems with the GM product I owned, but GM backed the product up and fixed it. My Honda's and Ford were great. Toyota would not back up their product and it was very dissapointing. Toyota could care less about the customer. This was my first and last Toyota.
BUYER BEWARE: TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS RAMPANT! by SADTOYOTAOWNER on 08/31/2011. Trim: 2004 Toyota Matrix 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: nice cargo space...seats fold down flat and car is very roomy inside and gets good gas mileage.
Cons: the matrix has transmission problems! faulty bearing=transmission failure around 100,000 miles. BEWARE! dealerships will do nothing to help!
Overall review: car would be perfectly fine if transmission problems were being taken care of...spending $4,000+ on a new transmission after 100,000 miles is absolutely unacceptable! toyota vehicles used to be bulletproof...not any more!
awesome car but a weak motor by Kumashiro from MWN on 05/20/2010. Trim: 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Roomy, comfortable, good line of sight, good night time vision, AWD works great, for it's class, fuel MPG is quite good, lots of head, leg room for both passenger and drivers, 60/40 fold down rear seat, and it's flat w/ a hard plastic surface.
Cons: It's severely underpowered. Why on earth would Toyota make a AWD car with just 128 hp? no AWD car should ever be that underpowered. Ever...
Overall review: It's great, reliable, (i've only needed to do an oil change and change out a O2 sensor at 80,000 miles) comfortable, but they need to put in the 2zz engine into the AWD, and not the 1zz because when you're going up a steep hill and you got four adults, guess what, that car's gonna downshift and chug along. What was Toyota thinking at this time...
Good car by Jersey on 08/11/2009. Trim: 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Great gas milage average 38 miles per gallon in city, comfortable, plenty of leg room even in the back seat and cargo space. Easy to see out of the back of the car. Lots of little storage compartments in front and back of car. Driving the car for years bought it new No work done on the car except routine maintance. Love all of this. Lots of pick up quick.
Cons: Hate the Road noise, Musty smell around window, Little compartment in front won't stay shut. Doesn't do good on long trips with high speed, Need to check the oil when running at 70+
Overall review: This is a good handling car, great value for the money,
Can't hear myself think by Roo 04 on 12/02/2004. Trim: 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Nice space. Can get a lot of stuff into this car. I like the 6 disc in dash cd player, its a very nice option to have. I feel like I'm safe in this car.
Cons: The road noise is terrible! Get the car above 40mph and you might as well forget about having a conversation with anyone or receiving a phone call (hands free set of course). When people on the other line comment on how loud your brand new car is that is a problem. I feel like the 6 speed is difficult to drive compared to other imports and its get up and go is non existent. I've driven VW's and Honda's and they drive like silk compared to this manual transmission. Value of car drops like a stone after purchase. Don't try to trade it in if you bought it new, you can't, no one wants it.
Overall review: It's a fun car with lot's of room for a person with an active lifestyle: camping, rollarblading, etc... I like the interior styling it's very edgy but gauges are hard to read sometimes. Wished I would've had better experience with this toyota. Use to drive a Honda and wish I never had given it up.