2003 Honda Element

Best Auto by Susan, Bend, Or on 01/15/2011. Trim: 2003 Honda Element EX 4WD Automatic w/ Front Side Airbags, Owned 7 years.
Pros: I own a sports car and have had many cars in my life but I like this car more than any I have owned. I wish they wouldn't quit making it. My passengers say they also love it
Cons: There is nothing that I dislike about this car
Overall review: It is comfortable , fast, great room handles well and nothing stops it. I have driven over mountains and watched all the cars around me slide off the road some with chains a lot of 4 wheel drives I have sailed past and never looked back
Very nice small SUV. by Throe from Barrow, AK on 05/14/2010. Trim: 2003 Honda Element DX 4WD Automatic, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The inside is very spacious. The way the rear seats fold sideways makes for a very generous cargo area, and if more space is needed, the rear seats can be removed entirely. The 'suicide' opening style of the side doors allows very large objects to be moved through the side door openings. The trunk opening opens window up/tailgate down, and it would be perfect for any activity which would ordinarily warrant having a tailgate. Performs well on slick or icy road conditions, as well as deep snow, due to the all wheel drive. Accelerates nicely on almost all road surfaces, paved, dirt, ice, snow. More ground clearance than most cars. Good fuel economy. Moonroof!
Cons: Mine lacks ABS, which I miss, but isn't a big drawback if you're aware of the practical difference when driving. I'm fairly certain the moonroof is removable, because there is a storage bag included for it, but I haven't figured out how to remove it yet. It seems it is not an intuitive process. I have not checked the users manual though. Mine gets lots of road noise, and squeaks, rattles, and clanks. It doesn't sound like anything is broken, but it can be hard to talk over the extra noise. The back seats lack a center seating position, but make up for it with passenger cup holders in that area.
Overall review: Overall very pleased with this vehicle, although it is certainly far from top of the line. You get what you pay for, and I got this one for a good price for the area. Mine came used with the smell of maktak(pronounced "muck-tuck", whale skin/fat) embedded in the back cargo space from the previous season's whale harvest(a traditional Inupiaq Eskimo activity dating back thousands of years). The smell came out relatively easily as compared to other surfaces, thanks to the all plastic design. You could literally hose out the internal compartment of this vehicle if needed with little to no concern for water damage. I'm planning on opening up a tube of caulk to seal up some internal components which are making too much noise during driving. These types of noises can be difficult if not impossible to locate and put an end to.
SUV with a kick. Love it! by FV on 10/21/2009. Trim: 2003 Honda Element EX 2WD Automatic, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I really enjoy the versatility of the vehicle. When I was researching this vehicle, I was concerned b/c reviews mentioned how the wind moves the Element on the road a lot, but so far, I have had minimal problems with this even though it's design is bulky. Blind spots were minimal from what I expected. The seats are very comfortable, including if you had to sleep in the back. The possibilities with the seats are really cool if you have to move something or tote your dog around. I love how much room there is; everyone has been impressed with this as soon as I open the doors. The 2WD has a nice get up to it so it accelerates with ease. I absolutely love this SUV and am so happy I got it!
Cons: The 2003 models only have arm rests for the driver seats. Also, the driver's seat visor does not have a mirror and for someone like me who is short, it is too unsafe to move the rear view mirror just to use it. I have driven with friends in the back seat and while they say it is very roommy and comfortable, they also mentioned they could feel every bump and got nauseous fairly quickly. The seat material is not made of the best quality; the vinyl tears fairly easily just from repeatedly getting in and out and the cloth is very hard to clean if you get dirt or stains on them. The plastic interior does scratch fairly easily as well (beware for dog nail marks).
Overall review: I would recommend the Element for anyone that wants to do more than just go around town. It can be used for so many purposes that it's a really good investment as far as I'm concerned. It is considered a part of the smaller SUV line but it really delivers once you take a peek inside and find all of its goodies. Gas mileage is not too bad (20-25) and the drive is relatively smooth. I showed it off to my mechanic (who only specializes in foreign cars) and he said in the years he has worked, he has only had to work on 3 or so Elements and even then it was for preventative maintenance only. Also, when I was comparing the CR-V and the Element while I was car hunting, he immediately said Element. Definitely an investment for someone on a budget or wants to have an SUV that will handle an active lifestyle. I would definitely recommend this vehicle.
Great Vehicle by Albion from Milwaukee on 08/19/2009. Trim: 2003 Honda Element DX 2WD Automatic, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Everything from it's stylish exterior (I seem to be the only one who likes the grey fenders and quarter panels) to it's washdown interior, I am very pleased! I have about 70,000 miles on the vehicle now which, as most people know, is very little for a V-TEC motor. I've never had to have a service call other then oil changes, breaks and tires.
Cons: In the 6 years that I have owned this vehicle I have had only two problems, both with the interior. First the front seat is of poor quality. The side of the seat tore off within 2 years of owning the vehicle. I had it replaced under warantee but after my warantee was up the new seat tore in the same place. Secondly, the radio display went bad this year. It blanks out when the vehicle hits bumps. I have to knock the display with my nuckle a few times to get it to come back. Time for a new stereo, perhaps.
Overall review: I'm not sure how the newer models are, but other then that seat, I am very pleased. I will definately purchase another Element (if Honda still has them) when this one dies.
Review ID: #542036 Is this review offensive?
Versatility Plus! by Aloha from Placerville on 04/21/2009. Trim: 2003 Honda Element EX 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: The vehicle is very roomy, it is serviceable, versatile, and will fit most 'busy' lifestyles. It is a comfortable passenger vehicle as well as a 'utility' vehicle great for hauling stuff, going on road trips, and campouts. With the interior materials it is constructed from, you dont need to worry about spilling things. The back seats can be flipped up or removed all together to make more space. I happen to like the 'boxy' design.
Cons: I would like a little more horsepower, although, on the freeway and on 'regular' hills, this vehicle keeps up with all the others. Prior to having the Element I had a 5.0 Mustang GT and remember being chased up a hilly highway by an Element that had no problem keeping pace with the pony. A slight 'con' is that you get some road noise in the Element - some rattles, etc. but hey, it does not promote itself as a luxury vehicle. Because of its shape you can feel the gusts on a windy day.
Overall review: Overall I love my Element . It's a 2003 and going strong. If I were to buy a new car it would be another new Element. The only problem so far has been a wiring problem with the radio that Honda worked to remedy. Low maintenance vehicle.