2003 Kia Optima

Very nice for the price by Matt from Utica, NY on 05/19/2004. Trim: 2003 Kia Optima SE, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: Comfortable, roomy and easy to handle
2003 Optima is JUNK! by Ripped Off - Wisconsin on 07/11/2007. Trim: 2003 Kia Optima SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Seems affordable and looks nice.
Cons: Unfortuanately you get what you pay for. KIA neglects to tell their customers about regular service checks that need to be done at 30, 60, and 90,000 miles. The 100,000 mile warranty applies to original owners only. The problem with the engine seems to have been fixed in the 04 model. It seems to me the owners of previous models should have been informed of the major engine problems when they were discovered. When my timing belt broke it damaged the engine costing the thousands of dollars to replace (a common problem with this model). The car looks nice but is essentially a pile of junk.
Overall review: I am very unhappy with my Optima and would urge others NOT to buy one... at least not any older than 2004. I myself will never buy a KIA product again.
Great Bang For Your Buck by Happy in Canada on 04/01/2007. Trim: 2003 Kia Optima LX V6, Owned 4 years.
Pros: great ride, the V6 is a really smooth engine and reliable with fairly good gas mileage. Nice interior layout, comfortable for its class. Good warranty and dealers generally good.,
Cons: canadian winters (road salt and sand) hard on disc rotors (corrosion), brakes a bit wishy washy in general and don't inspire confidence, brutal sound-system since new, never resolved. Fit and finish not too bad at all, but...exterior paint finish poor (very thin). Marketplace Korean product quality bias so resale values poor. Depreciation is rapid.
Overall review: Have really enjoyed owning this car. Hard to decide whether to keep or move on after 4 years. Have low mileage (30,000) and the car still feels great and like new. Dollar for dollar this is a terrific value (except for the sound system and poor paint job). Trouble free except for a couple of silly things such as headlamps burning out and brake maintenance. Mostly dealer resolved under warranty.
Best car I've owned. by Chess in Oklahoma HOOAH! on 11/15/2006. Trim: 2003 Kia Optima LX V6, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I like the grill and head lights.
Cons: Shocks are a little stiff.
Overall review: I love this car, it looks great, sound system sounds great, and it drives very smooth.
The Best So Far by An MSN Autos Consumer on 08/16/2006. Trim: 2003 Kia Optima SE, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I like the looks of the 2003 Optima it does not look like every other car in its class. Handles well and has a comfortable quite ride. I am also very comfortable sitting in the back seat. Only had to do regular maintenance. Drives well in heavy traffic and is easy to park. In downtown Houston that is a plus.
Cons: It does not get the gas mileage the sticker advertised. I only get around 21 miles a gal. on average, for a 4 cylinder that seems low. Also do not like the way the power of the engine drops when I turn on the air conditioner.
Overall review: Over all this car has been a dream compared to my american made cars I have owned in the past. I have had many miles of care free driving with this car. Wish I could say the same about the american made ones.