2003 Kia Spectra

Save on Gas by Joe on 04/10/2012. Trim: 2003 Kia Spectra, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Gas
Cons: Always the check engine lights its on
Overall review: pretty good
BOOOO! by Booorae on 02/25/2008. Trim: 2003 Kia Spectra GS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything. I've had to replace a bumper (fell off and dealership refused to replace even with warranty), transmission, and now an ingition. The interior is poorly made and falling apart. My Kia has about 63k miles and is a piece of junk.
Overall review: DON'T PURCHASE
Not a bad car overall. by Jim/Denver on 05/22/2005. Trim: 2003 Kia Spectra LS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It is for the most part a very well manufactured vehicle.. It is comfortable, efficient, and well put together. Overall I don't have a lot of complaints.
Cons: The paint is fragile, very easily scratched. The windshield wipers strip out and need to be replaced. And it is underpowered. DO NOT try to jump into traffic with the A/C on. You'll be a hood ornament on someone elses car in no time. Also, I have had problems with the window mechanisms breaking, so the windows roll up at an angle. Another problem with the windows is they stick when it is hot outside. So you have to help them roll down.
Overall review: Can't complain to much... It runs well, it's comfortable, and it is middle of the road as far as efficiency goes. A good buy for the price..
Long Term Kia Spectra Owner 10+ years and still on the road! by Travis on 11/23/2013. Trim: 2003 Kia Spectra Base, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Cheap transportation, decent MPG's 30+ Hwy, sounds great with aftermarket muffler, fun to drive with upgraded tires and wheels, awesome A/C (but it does sap engine power), great heater, fairly easy to work on.
Cons: Sheet metal is very thin, it dings easily. Parts are a bit pricey if you need to replace anything under the hood. At freeway speeds in the summertime I have to turn off the A/C for decent passing power. Once you hit 100K, expect to replace the TPS sensor (Throttle Position Sensor) just about each year. I got so good at replacing this part that I can now do it in 15 minutes, but the sensor is a $75 part :( The clock and radio turn off for no reason but comes back whenever it feels like it. I drive conservatively on the highway and I rarely do I get more than 32 MPG (we even have a K&N filter installed which I clean on a regular basis). Stock tires are awful, no ABS on the base model.
Overall review: We have owned this vehicle for 10 years as of December of 2003. We bough it new and now have close to 120K on the odometer. We have always followed factory recommended maintenance (including timing belt changes and all recommended fluid flushes and changes) and the car has never let us down. Throttle body was replaced once under warranty, TPS sensor get's changed yearly after check engine light comes on and the driver's side door seal has never fit properly, even after being replaced 3 times. What can I say, it was our first new car, we paid 11K for it and now it is worth maybe $3000. We have sunk a small fortune in factory maintenance but it has always delivered us to where we want to go. I highly recommend replacing the ugly factory steel wheels with some lightweight alloys and Pirelli P4's. I'm still kicking myself for not doing this sooner. BTW, if the TPS sensor needs to be replaced on your Spectra, do not put this off as your throttle response and gas mileage will suffer.
zippy little car by Connie on 09/21/2013. Trim: 2003 Kia Spectra, Owned 6 years.
Pros: This car is really fun to drive! At 130000 miles it still handles really well. Other than maitenance, the only repair we have made was the catalitic converter. (its spelled wrong....just sound it out...lol) It was the perfect car to hand down to our kids...and now they all know how to drive a stick shift.
Cons: The check engine light comes on for no reason. It has a code, (some kind of pedal..tps i think) but that pedal was replaced, yet the code started popping up shortly after it was replace and never quit. Sometimes it is on for a day/week/months sometimes it is off for day/week/months. Its been this way since 2007.
Overall review: This is a dependable little car, fun to drive, and good on gas. Just be sure when you get your notice to smog it, hurry and do it if your check engin light is off, or just wait til it goes off. Our car has ALWAYS passed smogged.