1997 Audi A6

1997 Audi A6 Prices
1997 Audi A6 Fuel Economy
2 3 4 5 6 7  Next
Keep looking for your next car. by Brian - Northern VA on 12/08/2004. Trim: 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Its plain looks can be improved. The AWD was the best part of this car. I can't say enough about the Quattro. More than once it got me out of major catastrophes. It was quiet, roomy, and felt very solid.
Cons: My car was a maintenance nightmare. It was in the shop at least twice a year for something that would typically be a minor repair and end up costing more than $1000. I had to have spent nearly 1/3 as much on repairs as I did to buy the car. Front bumper known to come loose, my sunroof broke and would have cost at least $3000 to fix, check engine light came on because of mass-air-sensor which would have cost a lot to fix and the problem really didn't affect the car - just made people not want to buy it. Gas mileage was not good, and you are required to use premium.
Overall review: I loved the car, especially the AWD, but I will never buy another Audi or Volkswagon again. I am mechanically savy, but I wasn't about to attempt repairs on a car as sensitive (computer controlled) as that.
Solid snow car by Donald on 01/30/2004. Trim: 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Fit and Finish A+. Very good gas mileage. Handling is awesome. I have owned this car for 6 months and it has just under 60k. Very pleased with car. High quality and solid. I live at a colorado ski resort- this thing is flawless in the snow (with new vredestein snow tires). Great car/good value.
Cons: Acceleration could be better, but it has not really been a factor for me. Passing acceleration is good. Car is steady as a rock at high speed. Has needed some maintenance as of late. Expensive to fix. Nothing major. Bose system is very nice.
Overall review: Great car for the money. A joy to drive and if you live in snow country, you cant beat it (except with maybe a subaru). Seems much more solid than a subaru (I have owned both) and I feel very safe with my family in this rig. Thumbs up.
Only Audi for me. by JSJ on 03/02/2007. Trim: 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, Owned 10 years.
Pros: This car handles amazingly well. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and snow is no match for Quattro. It hugs turns going up canyons and it's a great driving car. While I am "over" the exterior (looking at the new ones!) the interior is still up to par with even current luxury cars. It's older, but it still feels new.
Cons: The exterior is pretty dated now, but that's minor. It can be expensive to maintain so if you're looking for something inexpensive, this car isn't for you.
Overall review: All in all, this has been a great car. My father purchased it brand new and I inherited it when I started driving a couple years later. This car is a dream to drive. I really haven't had many problems with it and it now has nearly 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Quattro AWD is a must. Snow is a non-issue if you have a Quattro. It has had a few things go wrong with it; needed a temp. sensor replaced, had a clogged fuel injector at one point, had the emergency brake cable replaced... but really, given that it turns 10 this year, it is an amazingly reliable car. Other than oil changes every 3 months, we haven't had to put a lot of money in to this car. Yes, you have to buy put Premium gasoline in, but uh... you should already know that if you're considering any kind of luxury car so Im not sure why people are complaining about that. Yes, parts can be expensive, but again, isn't that known with any luxury car? I'd buy again in a heartbeat. It's my baby.
Dream sports car/Family Wagon by JD from Seattle on 11/08/2006. Trim: 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Bought with 49k on it. Have 210,000 miles now. Runs like new. All I have done is change water pump and timing belt at 100 and 200k per manufacturers recommendations. Always burn 92 octane and change oil every 3-5. Literally best car I have ever owned. Outstanding handling. Great skiing car. Tough in the snow. Unbelievable quality and workmanship. I have 150k on same brakes. Smokin stereo with disc changer and subwoofer. 3rd seat option a must. Have 5 kids all of whom fit comfortably inside.
Cons: Slow off the line, but fine at higher speeds. Mileage is just OK. Never take to dealer. Find a good foreign mechanic specializing in German cars and stick with them.
Overall review: Best car I've ever owned
Safe, sturdy and priced right! by Mike on 02/05/2004. Trim: 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Is a good used car value. A great way to go to get a great car with out paying BMW or MB prices. Has super style and feels awsome on the road. Can handle anything you throw at it when it comes to road conditions. Can be had for a great price if you are in the market.
Cons: Has a lack of juice at low end, wont ever win any races. MPG is not great even on highway. Has timing belt instead of chain. Is not bad if you can work on it yourself and source parts on the net, but the dealer network? Audi should do something about the dealers, overpriced and under trained. A real lack of customer care combined with a poor attitude. Selling? See last comment on Pros.
Overall review: Is a under rated car. Is not hard to take care of if you spend some money once in a while to stay on top of it. Is NOT a drive and forget car like a Toyota slush box Camry or a Chevy Malibu. You have to do more then change the oil once a year. Is a mechanical device and yes things will go wrong sometimes, could happen to any car. I was left without lights 200 miles from home in the dark. Was a bad light switch in the steering colume, 160.00 dealer part, I installed it myself. Dealer wanted 300.00 plus part. Thats too much. Things happen, about 10 years ago it happend to me in a BMW just 1 month out of warrenty, in the mountains of Canada at night in winter. Cost 600 bucks back then and no help from BMW. SO dont be shy when it comes to looking at a A6 Quattro, is a lot of car for the money.
2 3 4 5 6 7  Next