2003 Toyota RAV4

2003 Transmission Problem !!! BEWARE! by Graham, Annapolis, MD on 01/02/2010. Trim: 2003 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Nice car for the first 100K miles.
Cons: BEWARE of the 2003 Automatic transmission computer failure. It will costs thousands to repair. Google the issue: "2003 Toyota Rav-4 ECM problem or transmission problem" you will find houndreds of complaints.
Overall review: Do not buy this used unless you can get a confirmation on the transmission repair has been made.
My Awesome Rav4 by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/16/2010. Trim: 2003 Toyota RAV4 2WD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: I LOVE IT!!! Style, comfort, reclinable and moveable rear seats, rear seats move forward or come out. The level of front seating, the look, the storage, the power plug in the cargo area and in the console- great for road trips and plugging in the DVD player. Easy to drive, park, u turns, turns like a small car!! It's amazing. It's fun and stylish, I bought it before I became a mom, and now I'm a mom and it's still perfect for us. I realy enjoy driving it and in 2007 we bought a new Sienna, I got tired of driving that big thing around, so I let my husband drive it and took the Rav back.
Cons: The road noise is loud when you are inside. Check engine light came on around 68,000 miles. When I am on a road trip, I don't like to talk on the phone because I can't hear the person on it. Other than that, I have no issues, but now after reading some of the things people say that happens after 100,000 miles, I'm afraid of what will happen to my car in 30,000 miles.
Overall review: I bought my Rav at 9 miles old. She is now 70,000 miles old. We have not had any major issues. About 2000 miles ago, the check engine light came on, my husband had it checked by a mechanic and it's an 02 Censor that needs replaced. He said that it doesn't have to be done right away. We are in the process of getting it repaired. It will cost us around $400. I don't see that to be a huge problem considering that the gas mileage is great, and it's a great little SUV. As far as the peppiness, I could care less, when I need it to get up and go, it does, but I'm not rough on the engine, and I do mostly around town driving, hardly interstate. And in FL there are no hills or mountains for the RAV to climb. This car would be great for a teenager, single person, married couple, or with one or 2 children.
Transmission/Computer issues around 10 years or at 150,000 miles by Karen on 01/08/2013. Trim: 2003 Toyota RAV4 2WD, Owned 10 years.
Pros: I like the ability of any small SUV, being able to transport my handicap wheelchair son.
Cons: Well, I only have 76,000 miles on my Rav4 and it had computer problems, which in turn could have caused my transmission to fail completely. Luckily I immediately stopped driving when the car surged, and slipped into gear. I had regular service on the transmission fluids and engine, but only found out that there is a PCM Warranty Enhancement from Toyota Corporation for the same exact issue I had over Christmas. Thank goodness for a honest transmission shop and owner for letting me know about this issue.
Overall review: I would say be causes with who services your car as I had the dealership in Modesto, CA service mine and put the wrong fluids in my brake fluid and then would not stand behind their error. It cost me $5,500 at that time for repairs that the dealership caused. Now I find out about this issue after it occurred to me. Warning: the warranty is only good for 150,000 miles or 10 years what ever comes first. I regularly service my car as it is my only form of transportation.
Yes to the Rave 4 by Maple on 08/06/2011. Trim: 2003 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I drive this car 50 miles per day to work in Northern Vermont, where the winters are long, and the roads are not great. This car is perfect for me. The All Wheel Drive keeps me on the road in the roughest of conditions. The gas mileage is around 26 mpg on the secondary roads, which is pretty good, I think.
Cons: The noise inside the car is loud, but not sure if its the aggressive tires I have on it, or if the noise comes from the car. Even my mechanic isn't sure.
Overall review: Love this car, has 115,000 miles on it now, plan on keeping it for a few more years. Then most likely will buy another. Already have driven this car for 5 years.
2003 RAV4 transmission failure by An MSN Autos Consumer on 11/17/2009. Trim: 2003 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great car for student. Easy to drive and park. Except for the transmission, a very reliable car.
Cons: Slow acceleration. Good but not great mileage. Small gas tank. Rear door somewhat awkward.
Overall review: I purchased a 2003 RAV4 for my college age daughter in Feb. 2009. The car had 98,000 miles and was checked out by my mechanic with a clean bill of health. The car ran great. However, a computer chip that controls the transmission failed 4 months later and required a new chip and a rebuilt transmission. Total cost $4000. Not exactly what I was expecting from a Toyota.