2003 Jeep Liberty

Jeep Thrills by Adventurer From Dawson on 03/21/2012. Trim: 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I have the "Rocky Mountain Edition" trim Level. I think it comes with different rims, sound system and sky light. Good off-road vehicle. Turning radius and low gears make for climbing loose surfaces fairly simple (with the right tires). Still comfortable to drive on the highway. Enough Hp and toque to pull a large trailer at acceptable speeds. It also has decent towing capacity (not as much as a truck) due to the solid rear axle.
Cons: Gas Mileage is poor. I get approx 550km to 65liters of fuel. The ride is bumpy because the suspension is built towards off roading (but this is a mute point since this is an off road oriented vehicle). Just dont buy this and expect a nice cushy ride. I've had to fix a few things on it since buying it used: Replace water pump and rack & steering pump & hoses. The fan for the interior climate system also buggered up.
Overall review: I would recommend this Jeep for the person who wants an inexpensive, durable, non-nonsense 4x4 to get them out into the bush. Also if you want a vehicle that you can put your kids in the back and bring them up to the remote lake. Not recommended for the person who wants to do some serious rock crawling or super mud bogging (unless you do some serious modifications).
Jeep Lberty, lives up to it's name and then some! by Mike from New-Brunswick, Canada! on 11/24/2008. Trim: 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Freedom Edition 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I love the fact that's it's an all around vehicle! It's great in snow, mud, dry, wet, and it handles like a car on the road and it handles like a truck off road! I feel that it has the best of both worlds! The look of the vehicle is well designed, inside and out! The cargo room in the back is great! Just enough room for 90 lb. Black lab! I am not disapointed in the fuel millage, because it is a Jeep after all, if anything I find the millage pretty good for an SUV, considering that other SUV's give between 10 and 15 milles per gallon!
Cons: The one problem I have come across, is the front break calipers! They are a floating calipers, which meens the whole entire caliper moves when ou put the breaks on,not like regular calipers where the pistons move the break pads only ! They work realy well, but the problem is when you go in mud, MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE MUD OFF THE CALPIER, because if you dont, the mud will harden and every time you put the break on the cliper will stay on, even if you take foot off the break pedal, I learned the hard way! I cost me a new set of break pads in front! Not that big a deal! But can be annoying!
Overall review: All in all, my Liberty is the best vehicle I have ever owned! The ride, the comfort, the usabilty! But first and foremost I FEEL SAFE!!! I am not scared to get in and go,I know I can trust my Liberty! I am sure that it will get me and my familly to where we want to go and back with no problems! Regardless of the weather! I can not say that about any other vehicle I have owned! Regardless of where the controls a located, or how confertable the seats are, or where the dash or cup holders are, the most important thing is how does your vehicle make you feel? Safe or not? Tires can be changed for better ones, window buttons you can get use to where they are! If you don't feel safe, it makes no differnce how comfortable you are! My Liberty gives me a sence safty that I have not felt before, to me , that is comfort!!!The Liberty might not be for everyone, but don't be scared to get one, it may be the best decision you ever make!
Very Good Small SUV; Almost Perfect by Sam from Lincoln, Nebraska on 03/27/2004. Trim: 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Excellent driving position; Jeep reputation; very good ride and handling; excellent engine performance.
Cons: Power window switches on the center console rather than on the door where they belong; too much plastic; automatic transmission hesitates before downshifting, especially when turning corners. Glove box is so small the owner's manual won't fit inside.
Overall review: I researched and test drove virtually every small sport utility vehicle on the market before buying our Liberty. While the optional 6 cylinder engine isn't as powerful as that on the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, it's still quite good. The driving position is very good and you have an excellent view of the road in front of you. The gas mileage isn't that great but I knew it wasn't going to be as good as in my previous car so I'm not complaining. Overall, I'm very happy with the Liberty and although I thought the Escape was a better small SUV, the Jeep dealers in our area seem to be a little more motivated to sell vehicles and the buyer's incentives from the factory were much better.
Review ID: #420620 Is this review offensive?
Life saver by John from New Zealand on 02/11/2004. Trim: 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Good safe allrounder. Fun to drive.Looks Good. Wrote mine off, slipery road, lost control and slid head on into side of Kenworth.Front demolished but walked away.
Cons: Fuel economy could be better.
Overall review: It Saved our lives, all safety systems activated. Crumple zones, air bags and seat belt pretensioners Waiting for my next new one to arrive.
Small but tough Jeep by Coal Cracker from Pennsylvania on 12/31/2011. Trim: 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: I have about 94,000 miles on this vehicle. Overall it has been a good choice. Previously owned a Cherokee that my son ran until it had 176,000 mi. on it. Tough to top that. Follow the maintenance guide and it will last. The roads a brutal where I live but the front end and tires hold up well. Lots of power, like the manual 4WD and is good in the snow.
Cons: Being a mechanic, I am disappointed with the life of the brakes and rotors. They may be too small for the vehicle. The parking brake set up is very poor. I am surprised that I have not seen this in other reviews I have read. Electronically, I had to replace a timing sensor. Lost an A-C compressor at about 80,000 mi. The paint peeled off the standard wheels. I repainted them. (Noticed this in other Libertys with the same wheels) Mileage is 17-19 no matter what the situation.
Overall review: The 2003 Liberty was rated high when new and has not disappointed me. The highway mileage could be better and besides the brake life, I am pretty happy with my Jeep.