2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

No more Bug and thrilled! :) by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/13/2012. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Appearance
Cons: Always has engine and air bag lights on! To many sensors! Always in shop! Tired of VW Dealer charging $100.00 per hr for labor rates!
Overall review: Will never own another VW product again and highly recommend to stay away from a Beetle! I have since traded in the car.
Amazing Little Car by Jacob on 03/26/2012. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T, Owned 1 year.
Pros: i have the GLX 1.8 turbo edition and it drives great, with a very smooth ride, it is actually very spaceous too, considering how small the car looks on the outside, and the thing i love so much about it is the amazing sound the turbo makes.
Cons: if you inflate the tires to the max p.s.i printed on the tires side wall the car rides a little stiff, so if you under inflate the tires just a little bit, from about 5 to 10 p.s.i, the car rides really smooth.
Overall review: overall it is a really nice car, the best thing about the car is that it has a high rating in safety, so it is perfect for first time drivers.
Beetle GAL by LeahDai on 07/18/2013. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0L, Owned 10 years.
Pros: It doesn't matter how old the beetle gets, its always very stylish. I received this car for HS Graduation.
Cons: Since it's older, I have little issues like changing gears, because sometimes they get stuck.
Overall review: I Love my beetle
Better than people think by Lauren on 09/01/2012. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I really like how durable it is. The gas mileage isn't the greatest, but it's pretty decent. I also really like how roomy the front is.
Cons: The back is pretty cramped, but that's alright because the front is pretty roomy.
Overall review: My husband and I bought our 2003 model last November. I always wanted one, but regretted it a little afterwards. We don't have kids yet so we were okay with buying one but in the future it'll be a hassle getting kids in and out of the car. I was bummed until my husband told me about the crash ratings. The car has great crash ratings so even though it'll be a little bit of an inconvenience when kids come around, i'll at least know they'll be safe.
Double the Pleasure by Atwater from Milwaukee on 06/10/2012. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Convertible 1.8T, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I have two sunset orange 2003 Beetles, first a basic GL five speed 2.0 I've had for 5 years and I just got a GLS 1.8T convertible. The GL takes me back to my 1966 Beetle which was great but the GL's power windows and A/C make for a really great drive for an old guy like me. Both cars suit me fine and keep the smile on my face. The GL gets nearly 35MPG on the highway on cruise at 65MPH. The turbo uses more gas and premium but makes up for it in in performance. I haven't had the issues some other reviewers describe, the only problems have been on the GL, a failed sensor in the right door that affected the door locking properly and the catalytic converter failed under warranty.
Cons: Well, the cup holders and the sun visors have already been mentioned enough times and things like trunk space should be considered before buying (but if you know how to pack it's not a big deal). I'm really happy with my Beetles so that's about it.
Overall review: I'm really happy with my Beetles, maybe mine were just built on the right days, I don't know. My main suggestion since these cars are getting on in years now try to be sure the car had regular service and wasn't abused.There can be an issue with the 1.8T engines which if maintained properly per the manufacturer's schedule will run on and on and on but if synthetic oil wasn't used and if the oil changes wern't done on time it is possible for the oil to gum up in the shallow pan and block the small strainer causing loss of oil pressure resulting in catastrophic engine failure. This is not an issure with the 2.0 non turbo engine.