2003 Volkswagen Jetta

Great to drive, but lots of problems by Bob from the FL Space Coast on 01/06/2011. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI, Owned 8 years.
Pros: The VR6 engine has a lot of power and the car handles well. It is really fun to drive and is smooth at high speeds. This car loves to go. Looks good with the wide 225 tires.
Cons: My two biggest complaints are electrical problems and degradation of the interior plastic parts (rubbery surface coating flakes off). It also eats tires.
Overall review: This car is really fun to drive. It has a lot of power and handles well. However, I have had a lot of electrical problems. Some have been minor, others major. I have replaced the alternator and ignition coils twice, and I'm on the 4th battery. The radiator fan motor also had a problem and was replaced (early while under warranty). I've also had an intermittant engine temperature sensor problem that kicks the check engine light on. I've also had an intermittent starting problem that may be related to the temp sensor. The fuel gauge sensor also failed and had to be replaced. The only mechanical issue to date was that the A/C compressor died at about 90k miles. I have done a lot of the repairs myself, but parts are expensive.
The Ultimate Diesel by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/06/2008. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Everything
Overall review: My 2003 Jetta GLS TDI(thats right a diesel) is a beast, not only does it get 42-50mpg but it is also a beast on the highway. This is defenetly worth buying.
Vroom, Vroom by mrebuth on 06/22/2005. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great acceleration, great handling, amazing braking, all-around fun. The 6-speed is amazing and smoother than the auto's and 5-speeds. Very nice amount of room and comfort in the front seats (I am 6'4" and very comfy). Trunk is beautifully sized for the actual size of the car.
Cons: I am not a fan of the cup holders (located right above the radio). They block my view of it and make it hard to change the volume. There is a backseat but its not too comfortable and very cramped (but I don't care b/c I dont use it, I am always in front). I did have a problem about month ago with the car's engine light and stability control light coming on (I think I caused it though) but they were fixed (I still dont know what caused, gotta love that warrenty). The tires for this badboy are like 200 bucks a pop right now (I have already had two flats since I bought the car last summer). Also, I think the radio should have cd-text b/c just seeing the cdin thing is pissing me off.
Overall review: I reccoemnd this car to anyone out there looking at the lower end beamers and such. It's a little cheaper and much better of a car. i have owned the car for a year now, it was a leftover with 50 miles on it, so it was brand new. Great engine with always more power to spare (at 100mph, it was still waiting to gallop, so i brought it up to 120 without any hesitation). Tires need to be cheaper, Great transmission, Handling superb, very stable, amazing car, amazing.
Bow to the JETTA by Reder, Virginia on 11/12/2003. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great look, especially with the "Sports Package" - I love the way it handles and the humpf you get from the nicely tune 1.8T engine is something to brag about.
Cons: I wish there was more leg-room for my rear passengers - it can be pricey
Overall review: This is my first VW and I'm happy with it - I guess time will tell how good of an investment this was.
love my tdi by animal on 10/13/2011. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned 8 years.
Pros: just about trouble free
Cons: things that vw knows are bad but they won't put out a recall
Overall review: I got this car with 11k and now it just turned 90k with very little wrong to fix, just oil filter and fuel filter. laast year of the good tdi with 50 mpg