2003 Mazda Protege

Mazda #5 by hans on 09/12/2011. Trim: 2003 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Bought it new oct'02. Easy choice since my '91 protege gave me 306,000 miles without problems. Dealer paid me to keep that one, donated it. '03 is my fifth Mazda! The steering is very responsive, the geometry is so good that I cannot get a squeal tearing around on-ramps.
Cons: Desperately needs 6th gear. The 2 liter is torquey enough for a taller drive. sway bar links rrattle after 70.000n miles,replaced easily.
Overall review: Love it.
Holding on to a good thing by Wendy. Wisconsin on 08/31/2014. Trim: 2003 Mazda Protege DX, Owned 8 years.
Pros: The acceleration is great. Haven't had any major issues. Mostly maintenance.
Cons: Sits too low to the ground. Not a very good vehicle for wintertime use...have gotten stuck in snow that is higher than a foot too many times to count.
Overall review: I am very happy with my Mazda Protege and have received many compliments for owning one. Mine has been very good to me in the 8 years that I've owned it. Have had to replace a few parts(batteries, brakes, alternator, lights, oil) but nothing beyond maintenance.
2003 Mazda protege LX by Megan Alexander on 05/09/2014. Trim: 2003 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It has a very nice interior. The looks over all are great.
Cons: I have had nothing but problems with this car. I had to have a new frame welded on because it was rusted through, new rocker panels, brake pads. Now there is something wrong with the transmission, it seems to slip and skip when trying to go up an incline. Also my car keeps stalling and my RPM's will rev up and down where my car will start shaking then it will stall. I have not found why my Mazda is doing this yet. One more thing is my engine light has turned on twice and I got it checked, but there were no codes so the engine light shouldn't have been on. This car was my worst design yet. It has had nothing but problems and a waste of money. I paid 3000 for it and it is useless.
Overall review: My experience was bad with this car but you may not have the same experience as me.
ES could mean "excellent sedan" by Geoman on 03/25/2008. Trim: 2003 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 6 years.
Pros: A sharp looking, reliable, fuel-efficient vehicle with go-kart handling
Cons: needs a sixth gear. horn sounds like a wounded goose squawking through a cloth sack. exterior paint very "thin" (easily penetrated by stones).
Overall review: Currently at 170,000 miles (and I am the original owner) and only significant repairs ahve beeb=n a new battery and ne wbrake pads and rotors (once.) I consistently get 30mpg even with aggresive acceleration and ave. cruising speed in 60-65 mph range. Stereo is very good, suspension and interior are holding up well and aside from one rattle somewhere in the dashboard the car seems to be as tight as the day I picked it up new at the dealers lot. A solid candidate for a used car bargain, if you can find someone who is willing to part with theirs!
My Mapro! by Wade from Minden on 04/15/2007. Trim: 2003 Mazda Protege DX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I bought it 2 years ago cause I knew they got good gas milage. Now, the more I drive it the more I like it. It started out being a work car. Now I go everywhere in it. For the 1.6 liter, the accelartion aint bad. But the handeling is where I say it shines. It is a lot of fun to "drop back 2 gears" and take on a sharp curve in it. The car is real responsive. Lot of fun to drive with the 5 speed. And did I mention 35 mpgs! You can cram way more stuff in the trunk and back seat than you think you could. The looks of the car isn't all that bad for a small 4 door sedan. Me and my wife have always had (and still have) sports cars and a big truck. Don't look bad next to them.
Cons: Have had a few mechanical problems. Of course bought it used no telling how, who drove it before I got it. Had to have new bearings in transmission and a new clutch put in. And I need to have some front end work done. It has a little more road noise than what I like. And the back seats do get kinda small with a baby seat in it. Word of advise for you parents with baby seats in the back. Put the child seat in the middle of the seat. That way you want have to "eat your knees" The baby don't care if they are in the middle. Little odd putting them in the mid. but well worth the leg room. Other than that not too much bad to say about the car.
Overall review: All in all I love the car. Great gas milage, don't look all that bad, runs good, and handles great. More room in the interior than you think. User friendly on the inside. Would recomment to anybody. I love my Mapro!