2003 Volkswagen Passat

GERMAN CARS PROBLEMATIC OVER TIME by northern calif guy on 01/18/2003. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 1 year.
Pros: CAR FEELS SOLID .
Cons: HEAVIER STEERING FEEL THEN I LIKE.. I'M NOT CONFIDENT RE-SALE VALUE IS AS HIGH AS PEOPLE THINK. A CERTAIN PERSON BUYS A PASSAT . GREAT CAR TO LEASE WOULD NOT BUY .ALSO NO MATTER WHAT ANYWAY ELSE SAYS A GERMAN CAR COST MORE TO REPAIR OVER TIME THEN THE JAPAN AUTOMAKERS .
Overall review: LEASE A PASSAT , BUY A ACCORD . I STILL DO NOT FEEL GERMAN AUTOMAKERS ARE UP TO HONDA ,TOYOTA ENGINEERING WHEN REGARDING LONG TERM RELIABILITY FACTORS AND MAINTANCE COST FACTORS . ONE MORE THING PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIKE THE 2003 ACCORD STYLE WILL CHANGE THEIR MIND IN 6 MONTHS, ITS ACTUALLY HAS GOOD LINES THAT DONT ASK FOR ADD ON GIMMICK STYLE STATEMENTS . ALSO THE ACCORD WILL RETAIN THE HIGHEST RE-SALE VALUE NO MATTER WHAT EVER WE THINK WITHIN A 4 YEAR RUN. AGAIN BUY AN ACCORD , LEASE A PASSAT !
perfect by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/09/2014. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Passat GL, Owned 3 years.
Pros: safty
Cons: complicated i mean their is no enough space for engine which make maintenance work harder
Overall review: good and fun ride
The poor mans Audi by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/26/2009. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I have 166,000 miles on it, still handles well.26 mpg.quality materials throughout.
Cons: Catalytic converters go bad at 60,000miles on my last passat also.Seat heaters only work on high.High beam indicator lamp to bright.
Overall review: Love this car will get a third when this one goes. If this one goes.
My Last Volkswagen by Done with Volkswagen on Long Island on 10/13/2007. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The styling is beautiful. This car gives the appearance of quality. The gas mileage is good. The interior is pretty comfortable.
Cons: The reliability is not good, and the dealer's service was poor from the 2 VW dealers I used. They always seem to blame the problems with the car on the driver, or they cant seem to duplicate the problem. I went through 3 sets of rear brakes and rotors and 2 sets of front brakes in less than 30,000 miles, and the dealer told me this is normal. The trunk was difficult to open and the dealer told me that I needed new hinges which they had to order and paint. When I brought it back for the repair, they told me there was nothing wrong with the hinges. The front axle began to go bad at 33000 miles. This was my 3rd and last VW.
Overall review: I loved this car when I purchased it new, and by the time I sold it, I did not like it at all, and I hated to bring it in to the inept dealership.Although I purchased an extended warranty for it, the regular warranty was about to expire and I would have to bring it back to the original dealership where I purchased it. I vowed that I would never step foot in that place again. Since trading it in a month ago it has been recalled twice- ignition coil failure which could result in fire, and the heated seat which could result in burns. They are also prone to engine sludge, for which the repair is a new engine. Passats need frequent and expensive mainatinance and premium fuel. I did not feel that this car was worth the money. Before purchasing a used one, search the internet for the many sites dedicated to the poor reliability, poor dealer service and lack of support from Volkswagen of America.
"A Looker with personal problems" by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/06/2007. Trim: 2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The exterior look is great. Heated cloth seats are very nice in the winter. The trunk is very large for such a small car. Good quality sterio system.
Cons: Small compartments inside the vehicle. The manual seat controls are a joke and impossible to use. Also at 21k miles the water pump went out. Then at 30k miles the thermostat went out causing the light bulbs to blow. Premuim gas only or you will cause yourself problems!
Overall review: Great looking car with good options and a lot of class. But also a problem waiting to happen. with all the warrenty work that has been done on this vwhicle and only 35k miles on it, I will be trading this off when the warrenty is up because the bill to repair this vehicle is outragous. Also with gas prices the way they are who wants to put premium gas in evry time they fill up. I would never buy a passat again