2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Love my "Monte" by goodwrenchfan on 02/01/2009. Trim: 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Owned 6 years.
Pros: The body style is fabulous. The car handles great in the snow and rain. Love the ride....all my friends say that it rides so nice. So easy to drive it just goes down the road with seemingly no effort. I would buy another someday....
Cons: Driver side seat belt either sticks or will not retract, occasionaly. The rear window defogger is a bit slow when the window is frozen. The wheel base is long so it can de difficult to park in a tight spot. But I will give that up for the wonderful ride. The steering wheel buttons, the coating is coming off.
Overall review: Overall the care is great for the price. It rides and handles just as good or better than my friends BMW's and Mercedes. I would say I would buy another one or recommend it to a friend.
Nice vehicle by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/23/2010. Trim: 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS, Owned 7 years.
Pros: I've never really had any problems with the car. I have just over 90,000 on it and it runs like it did when I bought it. I get decent gas mileage with the car so I can't complain. The car actually handles pretty well in the snow.
Cons: I wish it held it's resale value a bit better.
Overall review: It's been a great car for me. I honestly can't complain about anything with the car. It's served me really well without any issues other than normal maintenance.
Very Nice, But... by Trev from Kansas on 02/25/2010. Trim: 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: My SS has all the options (i.e. sunroof, heated leather seats etc.) which makes it a lot better than the 97 Camaro I had with the same 3.8L 6 cyl engine. I also like that it is front wheel drive since I live in Kansas. Obviously this would be a problem for someone that didn't have to deal with snow or icy conditions during the winter. Plenty of power and good response from the brakes as well.
Cons: This vehicle looks and feels much better than by 97 Camaro in most aspects but unfortunately feels exactly like it with its stiff suspension which is usually ideal in a true high octane sports performance car but not necessary with a 200 hp V6. You can definitely feel every imperfection in the road. Also the electrical work is subpar as I also have the multifunction switch problem that is so common in most of these vehicles. Chevy is well aware of this problem but has no intention of recalling the vehicle for this potentially life threatening problem. I guess several people are going to have to die before something that will take away from their profits will be done.
Overall review: I like the look and feel of this vehicle and would recommend it to most people but would have to warn them of the suspension and electrical issues.
Great car by M.Lusardi on 02/11/2009. Trim: 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Nice lines and sporty. Handling is great, very responsive. In town fuel milage around 24 mpg and 34 mpg on the highway ( at 81 mph ). Always get a complement on the looks, even from other M.C. owners.
Cons: As with other reviews, drivers seat belt retraction issues. Also problems with the multifunction switch ( dimmer/turn signal/wiper switch) , when the high beams are on I have had the head lights go completley out ( not good at 80 mph on a 2 lane highyway at 2 in the morning ) ,must cycle the dimmer switch to get the lights back on. I have found new switches ranging from $300 to $500, parts only, not installed. Beware.
Overall review: Overall I love this car. As a mechanic I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. The overalll quality and reliability is outstanding.
Take extra care of the tranny. by Lee on 10/15/2008. Trim: 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: The styling and comfort was well thought out for this model. The ride and handling are excellent. The off the line acceleration is great. Over all I am very satisfied with the car.
Cons: There are a few engineering defects in the transmission. After closer inspection I have found the built in transmission cooler is not big enough to handle the stress I put on the car especially in hot environments(Mojave desert). There are also some parts that should be hardened or made of better materials. Acceleration could be better for passing on the highway. The trans has a tall final drive which helps fuel economy but the shift points seem to be a bit off for the gearing not taking advantage of the maxum power range of the engine.
Overall review: I have owned this car for five years now and have 71000 miles on it. I don't abuse it but I'm not exactly easy on it either. This said I am currently rebuilding the transmission. It cooked the fluid without giving me a high temp warning. This led to the failure of hard parts and riddled the trans with metal shavings clogging ports and destroying seals. However, this is the only major problem I have had with the car. All I have had to do in the past five years is schedualed maintenance. The advertised fuel economy is almost right on(I personally get 19/29). I love the way it handles in all conditions. All around it's a great car for the money. Just watch that tranny.