2003 Subaru Forester

Covers the bases by Decaturite16 on 09/24/2011. Trim: 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 X, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Dependable car around town that likes mountain roads, too. It's the soul of competence, but it has a little bit of an edge. Plus it can carry a ton of freight, when necessary, and you have the comfort of knowing it's safe. Drove it home from a pileup that left a Ford and a Chevy totaled -- I just needed some bodywork..
Cons: Mine seems to be a good one -- problems in 90,000 miles have been relatively routine and minor. And I have an after-market mechanic who specializes in Subies -- seek one out if you can. Be aware that AWD burns up tires faster than 2WD, and there's a gas mileage penalty. Wish it had a six-speed. And the paint quality is mediocre.
Overall review: Great choice for those who are forced to be practical but who want to be ready when a backroad beckons.
Love those Subarus by Subie Girl in British Columbia on 06/17/2011. Trim: 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Excellent performance in any weather and temperature. Great brakes. Handels like a dream.
Cons: Really not a big fan of the tiny lights that are used as markers for the heat/air conditioning system. Can't see what functions I am using during the day-time. Also, panel and gauge lights have burnt out. Air bag didn't go off during a recent accident, but that may have been my fault as the indicator light had been been on recently and I didn't get it serviced.
Overall review: I bought this car in Yukon and spent 2 winters doing a great deal of remote highway driving for work. I never had a problem (although it wouldn't start at -60, but I can't fault it for that). With this car and my studded winter tires, I never felt unsafe. Someone u-turned into my boyfriend last week while he was driving it. The airbags didn't go off - the indicator light had been going for awhile so that that was probably my own fault. He walked away without a scratch. The car took care of him. I loved that car and am VERY sad that it is now a write-off. I will be buying another Subaru - I am a lifer!
Great car but...... by Matt from Wisconsin on 07/08/2011. Trim: 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Drives nice. Decent enough power. Good cargo space. Comfortable. Fit and finish is quality. Mileage is decent on the highway (25 mpg) if you don't speed too much otherwise it likes to really drink above 70 mph and in town/short trips the mpg takes a dive (20-21 mpg).
Cons: AWD is great but I'm finding that the few times a I really need it doesn't out weigh the loss in fuel economy. I had the driver side seat cover replaced because the vinyl trim cracked (warranty). The replaced seat cover has cracked again (no more warranty). Engine had piston slap so bad my local Subaru dealer replaced two pistons (under warranty). It purred nicely for about 15k miles then the slap came back.....no more warranty. Rear wheel bearing went out at 75k miles. I just recently took it in to have the timing belt/water pump replaced (preventative) and discovered my head gaskets were both bad. All of that work will run $1800-$2000 (timing belt/water pump/head gaskets....).
Overall review: Overall I like this car. Despite the problems I have had (most major ones were warrantied) I still like the vehicle. I know of other Subaru owners who had similar problems and most have had head gaskets go between 100k-125k miles. AWD is really nice but even in Wisconsin winters there are only a few times I really felt I needed it. I probably won't buy another Subaru because of family I need more room and I would rather find a vehicle that can consistently be at or above 30 mpg So I would give up the AWD for better mileage.
Nice ride, but..... by Lewie from Alberta. on 10/23/2009. Trim: 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS, Owned 4 years.
Pros: clearance, handling on rough, wet, or slippery conditions. Traction a great plus, esp. with snow tires in winter. Fuel economy ok.
Cons: mechanical repairs needed: rear struts at 120,000, head gasket replacement at 150,000 km, clutch has always had a shudder, particularly when cold. Subaru dealer could not promise satisfactory solution, was therefore reason I have sold the vehicle.
Overall review: Expect head gasket and clutch problems. An enjoyable ride.
Very Desapointed Subaru Driver by antecoco on 08/17/2009. Trim: 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It is a comfortable suv, for every day driving, spacius trunk, good in snow and rain
Cons: veryyyy costly repair, at 100,000 i had to replace the head gasket, transmission fluid start leaking, 1600.- to fix it. in Florida very hard to find an honest service dealer, there are very few subaru technicians. Wind noise driver side,
Overall review: poor performance. Next car will be another Toyota.
Review ID: #542009 Is this review offensive?