2003 Toyota Matrix

Best Mini-SUV Ever Designed by The Saint from El Dorado on 06/15/2009. Trim: 2003 Toyota Matrix XR 2WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: An attractive vehicle that is very versitile and extreamly rellable. It's 6 years old with 80K miles on it and I still get 30 MPG on the highway. And it is comfortable to drive and ride in. My 6'4" buddy and I went to Alaska, spent almost everyday for four weeks in the car comfortably. The AC/Heating/Vent system is the best design I have seen on any vehicle, being versitile and easy to use. Vents are perfectly designed. The convertable storage area in the rear allows me to fold down the rear seat into a completely flat serface up to the back of the front seats for hauling stuff. The pax seat folds down for that really long lumber, etc. We took all of our camping gear to AK, no problem.
Cons: There are three issues with the 2003 Matrix. Although I like the design of the instrument panel, the instrument lights are red and very hard to see in daylight, especially if one is wearing shades. With the headlights off (note the Matrix's daytime driving lights are on all the time), the instrument light should be green to be seen. And, red only at night. This might have been fixed in the newer models. Secondly, I have the standard AM/FM/single CD player. Its good audio but I wanted an AM/FM/Cassette/multiple CD. It was available but at about $600.00. Way too expensive. Thirdly, the front seat folds down for storage but is not level to the back. A very minor problem in rare instences.
Overall review: This is great car with few minor design problems. If Toyota brings it out in Hybred, I'll buy it. Exceptional storage, passenger space, driving comfort and overall reliability make it the car for me. Daytime driving ights provide for exceptional vehicle visibility for hightened safety; although, the difficulty in seeing the instruments in daylight due to the red instrument light is an issue. The storage space configuration options (split rear seat fold down and passenger seat fold down) provide great flexibility of use. Exceptional gas mileage and mechanical reliability make it super affordable. I have had no mechanical trouble except the standard stuff that is expected of a car of this age and mileage; tires, break pads, etc. The front seat is about 3 inches higher that most sedans and makes it easier to enter and exit. I have praised and recommended the Matrix to many people and will continue to do so. I intend to get a plug-in hybred next time I buy. I hope it can be a Matrix.
The Cute little mini suv by Soccer Mom from Cincinnati on 02/01/2009. Trim: 2003 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The size, the car appears to be small, but is very roomy inside
Cons: The location of the gas tank opener
Overall review: Recommend this car for families of 2 adults and 3 kids, comfortable and reliable, the 4wheel drive makes a big differnce in snow.
The Ultimate Groocery Wagon by Huntskies on 05/05/2008. Trim: 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: This car is super reliable(cmon... its a toyota), and despite getting 32 mpg highway (its even better if you drive slow) it still has 180 horse power with the lift control on this beast of a 4 cylinder. if the 2zz-ge is good enough for the lotus elise, i think its good enough for the matrix too... when it comes to sleepers this car is definately a great car to have. No one expects to get blown away by a matrix, but it happens on a daily basis if you live near me... =D
Cons: Make sure to get extended insurance for the windshield.... its 900 bucks to replace it at the dealership (boo for semi's that are not tied down properly) =( but thats the only problem ive had with mine...
Overall review: great car for the price, and especially if you want a sleeper... its definately fun to drive...
The Ultimate Rice-Burning Grocery-Getter by happy=nevada on 04/02/2008. Trim: 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It's SO versatile. I have seen larger, gas-guzzling SUVs that couldn't hold what this car can. I love that the rear window opens, the mileage, and the performance. It's easily upgraded and modified for those of us who are into the rice-burner scene, while making the perfect grocery-getter.
Cons: I have had some engine issues: water pump was replaced at barely 35K mi, and I have to purchase expensive silicone sepentine belts to get rid of engine squeal, which still does not go away if wet or cold.
Overall review: Pros definitely outweight the cons! I would recommend this car to anyone on an average budget. I've owned this car almost 2 years.
Zip and Style by On the Go Grandma in Nashville on 01/26/2008. Trim: 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I am an on the go grandma and love my Matrix. It looks sharp and sporty and zips around like a dream. And as a school teacher, there is plenty of space to carry materials. On my recommendation several other teachers have bought the Matrix and love it like I do. My husband loves it as much as I do.
Cons: I've been driving my Matrix for 4 years and the ony problem--and it is a small one--is that on trips, the passenger seat ifloor room is not great for my Husband--he is about 6-2 and feels a bit cramped.
Overall review: Absolutely recommend the Matrix--and hope Toyota does not change the sporty look. Exellent gas milage.