2003 Pontiac Vibe

Enthusiast
Best Car I Have Owned Since My 82' Toyota 22r Pickup by Jimmy on 04/21/2013. Trim: 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD.
Pros: Love this car! Hauls: Have moved washing machines, stoves, bikes, sheet rock, all furniture but couches, I even hauled 300 sqft of carpet on the roof, and three full rolls of carpet pad in the car. B) Reliable: Very few small problems. No engine issues yet. (165000) same engine as mr2, tercel, and Lotus Exciage. With my car i did have to replace the transmission at 155k, but to be fair I drove it like a tank during the snow season in upto 24" of snow, and it handled friggen awesome! Was leaving humvees in the dust! Had I not raced around like a mad man I probably wouldn't have blown the tranny. The guy at the shop said it was the first AWD Vibe they had to replace the transmission on.
Cons: I had to replace the transmission once, but to be fair I drove it pretty hard the last winter, see above. The transmission shop said this was the first they had seen of the vibe AWD failing. It has a very loud interior and is NOT A SPEED DEMON, but if your a utilitarian such as myself, it won't bother you much! :)
Overall review: I would recommend this to any guy or gal who doesn't have the cash or space for a beater work truck but still wants the freedom to go places, and do things trucks might allow you to do. The AWD is very effective, I wish I could post some of the places I have been with this car. Lol, As mentioned earlier if you drive like a mad man and treat it like a subaru your gonna have to replace the tranny, but you should take confidence in the fact that the AWD Vibe will climb a 40%, rocky grade, in the pouring rain, essentially driving up a creek bed (as long as you have clearance). It will also get you out of your parking spot irregardless of the 2-3ft snow berm piled behind it. Point in case, This car rocks, and even though I have abused it to death!!!!! I have had only one problem with it and I caused that. Buy one, you won't regret it.
Review ID: #572033 Is this review offensive?
i got the vibe by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/22/2011. Trim: 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base, Owned 9 years.
Pros: i LOVE my car!!! bought it new in April 2002 and waited until October for it to be delivered. I have not been disappointed! I owned foreign-made vehicles before this one and have not found them to be as comfortable and reliable. To date, I have spent $300ish in addition to the regular maintenance costs (which was due to a wheel alignment when i hit a curb on the ice).
Cons: the stereo...the lowest volume setting is too loud
Overall review: AWESOME!! enough said.
Should have never stopped making them. by jjones on 05/20/2011. Trim: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Fun to rev up to high redline. Good breaks. Sporty to drive but functional in real world living.
Cons: They don't make 'em anymore.
Overall review: I have 245k on this car with a lot of back roads and washboard roads included in that mileage. A nearly perfect car, good on gas, low maintenance, fun to drive. I love the redline over 8k and the six speed shifts smmoothly. It can hold as much inside as a small mini-van and I've strapped two kayaks to its roof for years now. The best car I've ever owned.
Great all around car. by Red on 11/28/2010. Trim: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great gas mileage, about 36mpg for me. Roomy, stylish, comfortable, lots of pep for a 4 banger. GREAT HANDLING!
Cons: 2 window motors burnt out within 6 months of each other. rear passenger door handle broke (plastic). tends to require turning rotors about once a year.
Overall review: Good car, enough room for kids and adults alike. Pontiac/ Toyota seemingly fixed the cosmetic problems in 2004. I would recommend this car to someone who needs a reliable gas saver but also needs room for kids/ cargo.
Buyer Beware by Mississauga, Ontario on 09/20/2010. Trim: 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: There is nothing that I like about this vehicle. The a/c isn't good, nor is the does the heat work well. When I took the car back to have the a/c checked, the mechanic suggested that maybe I was in menopause and that was why I wasn't cool enough in the car. There is no space and I am constantly hitting my knee on the steering column. The blind spots are huge. The seats are uncomfortable and my back aches if I drove more than an hour. I had to buy a backrest so that I could drive longer than an hour.
Cons: The engine is undersized for the vehicle (my mechanic told me this). I get oil changes every 3 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. I take the car in to get checked over every 6 months, so I maintain my car. I expected to get more than 7 years from it. After 209,000k's the engine needs to be replaced. Oil is also leaking into the coolant. So I will have to ditch the car for a better make. I can't even trade it in. My new certainly won't be a Pontiac.
Overall review: The car is not worth buying. If you want a good vehicle, buy from another manufacturer.