2002 Saab 9-5

Let the train take the strain..... by Siwatkins on 09/25/2002. Trim: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Performance, handling, quality, comfort, innovation, torque to die for, economy, better than anything else at it's pricepoint, lighting, safety, fantastic ergonomics,.
Cons: Very little that I dislike, but perhaps the Aluminium finish dashboard. I regret not paying the small charge to have it converted to Carbon Fibre.
Overall review: The car is a dream to drive - I have it in 5 Spd Auto form, and the power surge is trainlike, all the way up through the slick as butter autobox. No slush, just constant, linear power. You'd have a job to get smoother, more linear power delivery, with electric power. There isn't a car on the market that I'd feel safer in, and I chose this because I love cars with superb power delivery, and yet, I feel safe placing my children in this vehicle. I've owned previously, 3 other 9-5's - a 2.0t Man, a 2.0t SE Man, a 2.0t Auto, and now the Aero. I'll be first in the queue to buy my 5th 9-5 in two years time, or whatever equivalent Saab have on the market then. I've looked at alternates at similar pricepoints - that left me with a poverty spec BMW 3 series with nowhere near the trim levels, shiny (ugh) plastics, or a poverty spec Mercedes - nice, but very underpowered.
Five titles with "GREAT CAR" ??? by Dave on 11/11/2002. Trim: 2002 Saab 9-5 Arc, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Very capable handling with feel the road sensation. Passenger and cargo room. Safe headrest.
Cons: Noisy engine. Car rattles after 2,580 miles. Drive side seat started to tear. A co-worker told me his 1999 Saab 9-5 had unbelieveable expensive repairs, but I haven't spend money on repairs because I'm still on warranty - thank you James for not telling me that Saab 9-5's have really expensive repair bills and they sure come with a really quiet engine, not.
Overall review: Right now, I am about to sell this car, so if you live in the New England town of Wellesley, Massachusetts, look for a for sales sign if you're interested on my car. I have to say that many of the other positive reviews including the ones with "great car" as a title are all from the Saab dealership/corporation ring. I feel disgusted that people from Saab are tricking the consumers. However, I do believe this product is better quality than the VW Golf/Jetta and that's a positive thing but I would avoid this car if you hate spending money on parts because they're bloody expensive! So, if you are rich, buy, test drive this car, if you're an average Joe, avoid it at all cost.
The best sedan with turbo!! by Bacon from Raleigh on 01/18/2008. Trim: 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear, Owned 2 years.
Pros: This baby get's down the road and looks sweet
Cons: Cup holders and expensive parts!!!!!
Overall review: I want a newer one now!!!
Review ID: #521970 Is this review offensive?
2002 Saab 95 LEMON by Matt on 01/17/2008. Trim: 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Sharp looking vehicle
Cons: Serious engine & Turbo issues @ 60,OOO miles. Approaching $4,OOO.OO in cost & just took to shop again for another leak. Possible Head Gasket.
Overall review: I purchased this vehile used with 50,000 miles. As state above, The last 10,000 miles have been very dissapointing & Extremly costly above and beyond the purchase price of $10,300.00
A troublesome luxury car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/27/2007. Trim: 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear, Owned 3 years.
Pros: We like the size, the ride, and the handling.
Cons: This car has been unreliable. Where do I start? We've replaced parts on the car that for most vehicles are lifetime parts. I have never replaced a wheel bearing on any vehicle, and on this car we have replaced two. While that might be a $200 repair on a normal car, it is a $1,000 repair on this one. The AM band on the radio doesn't work. Half of the dash lights are out. The message screens are frequently scrambled or missing pixels. We have replaced at least ten headlight bulbs. We just replaced an engine mount, another part I have never replaced on a car. The turbocharger seized, but fortunately was still under warranty.
Overall review: This car just doesn't cut the mustard for a $38,000 car. For the same amount of cash you can purchase almost any other competitive car and get something more reliable and less expensive to fix. This is a car that needs to be retired by Saab and redesigned. Hopefully the folks at GM can do for this model what they did for the 9-3. My recommendation is that if you buy one of these, make sure you have a long and extensive warranty.