2002 Honda CR-V

LOVE MY CR-V!!! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/09/2011. Trim: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD EX, Owned 9 years.
Pros: My CR-V has been an outstanding vehicle. I have not had any major issues in 100,000+ miles of driving. I don't understand the negative reviews I see on here at all. I have friends that also own the same year CR-V's and they too have had fantastic reliability as well. This vehicle has all the attributes of a larger SUV without the gas guzzling excess. I average 24 mpg faithfully and I feel that is fantastic mileage for a 4wd SUV. It is roomy, very comfortable, well made, handles beautifully, great on gas and simply a joy to drive. Not to mention unbelievable in the snow of New England!!
Cons: It is definitely not the quietest vehicle on the road. I wish there wasn't so much road noise from the back of the vehicle. A friend of mine switched to Michelin tires on his 2002 CR-V and it helped quiet his some, so I tried the same and it did make a difference somewhat. I also do not like how easily the black interior trim scratches up. Aside from these few flaws I cannot think of anything else to complain about!!
Overall review: My CR-V is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I have not had any trouble with my CR-V and would buy another without hesitation. It combines all the best attributes of an SUV with the comfort and efficiency of a car. I often wonder why people drive the big gas guzzling SUV's? It really makes no sense to me!
As Good As It Gets by Jim, from Spokane, WA on 10/09/2012. Trim: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD LX, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Can be comfortably driven at 50 on the all-weather gravel roads common in the Intermountain West--does not throw up much gravel. Very good ground-clearance if you have to go overland for short distances. After 230,000 miles in 10.5 years, still has 97% of the original compression, and averages 27 mpg. Total repair cost has been only $3400 over that span, exclusive of maintenance cost. Front struts, timing chain repair, miscellanous front end parts, brakes, and one windshield. Will handle 18 inches of fresh snow, or a foot that's been lying around a few days.
Cons: It IS noisy inside. You need to be careful about the tires you purchase, because tire noise is a big issue at highway speeds. MIchelin Destiny and Yokohama Geolandar AT/S (if you like a more aggressive tread pattern) have been the better selections for me. The AWD system does wear tires more rapidly, and most national tire retailers will except CR-V's with AWD from their tread-wear warranties--an 80,000-mile tire will only give you about half that amount of service. Some interior features (the folding center console, e.g.) were poorly made and failed to operate as designed after just a few months, but nothing indispensible.
Overall review: It's the perfect blend of mannered highway cruising and occasional off-road performance for a driver who doesn't mind spartan conditions. Cost of operation is quite low for the versatility you get. This summer, taking a shortcut in eastern Oregon, I lost the BLM road I had been traveling and ended up driving 12 miles down a freshly-made firebreak (loose, sandy soil, rocks) and fording a stream about 18 inches deep--the CR-V handled these tasks easily, saving me a four-hour, 170-mile backtracking. The Honda AWD system cuts in automatically when needed, and you might not even notice it handling changes in traction as you drive, which is a little disconcerting until you get used to it. Best car I ever bought, and I plan to keep driving it until I see a better one.
Best Compact SUV on the Market by Vancouver on 09/05/2005. Trim: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD EX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Good space more room than most smaller SUV's. Very good gas milage. Easy to load things in the back. Trouble free car.
Cons: Looks a little bland because you see so many of them of the road.
Overall review: A great little SUV. Would buy again!
Good Value by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/07/2004. Trim: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD EX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Gas Milage
Cons: Uncomfortable seats
Overall review: Good Value. Great on gas. No mechanical problems.
Great Value by Rob from Boston, MA on 01/28/2003. Trim: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD EX, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The car gets great gas mileage while still providing lots of cargo space. I really grew into the ergonomics of the vehicle (such as gear shifter and emergency brake). The tight turning circle makes for great handling and the accelleration is decent. I've found the ride to be comfortable. For a moderately priced vehicle interior has a nice feel with lots of compartments.
Cons: Road noise could be much less (better tires). The stereo lacks some punch. Rear seat headrests obstruct review mirror. Slightly underpowered for long steep hills.
Overall review: I'm very happy with this car. Its a great combination of car like ride and truck like traction and cargo space. I don't think you can get any nicer for the money not to mention the Honda reputation. If you're looking for a more aggressive suv you'll have to spend a lot more.