2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Prices
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Fuel Economy
Best Wagon Around by Postdot from PA on 10/11/2004. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: This is my 4th Passat and won't be my last. It handles wonderful in snow and ice, gets average MPG's. I've had my Passat to the dealer for new brakes once (35,000 miles) and for oil changes and the front headlamp needed replaced, which was under warranty. The service from the dealer is fantastic.
Cons: I dislike nothing about this car. If I did, would it by my 4th Passat? I read the others comments about problems that are so minor for a German car. Read some of the MAJOR problems on American cars. The Passat is great. I also noticed most of the negative comments involved the GLS not the GLX.
Overall review: The Passat Wagon is an excellent car. I would not consider owning anything else.
"The Passat" by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/16/2005. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Excellent quality, handling, performance and 30mpg. avg city/country
Cons: Computers too critical - possibility of getting stranded. Necessity to use premium gasolone
Overall review: Overall very pleased but would not purchase another without assurances that the 1.8 turbo problems have been solved
Engine Light On and On and On - Avoid at all cost by nothappy on 04/23/2010. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS, Owned 8 years.
Pros: This is a solid, safe vehicle. When it is running, that is.
Cons: Car has significant problems with the electrical system. Even causing it to "self shut down" on the road on at least three occasions. Attempted fixes numerous times, both under warranty and later at our cost (VW dealer identified it as a "new" problem, as soon as warranty expired). Engine light goes on and off every few weeks for days at a time. Brought to dealers, our own mechanic and others - "no trouble found".
Overall review: This car is way too much trouble. And VW service is very poor. Cannot recommend buying a VW. No way.
What's a Variant? by DaveWagen, 12 miles from Malibu on 01/15/2007. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The V6 engine is smooth and strong, the ride and steering has good road feedback even with the 15" alloys wheels and A/S tire setup. Power everything except the seats, no big deal. Room for 5 plus all the gear you can stack in the back. Roof rails can accommodate any combination of roof attachments on the market.
Cons: I am used to 4-banger gas mileage, so this engine is much thirstier but I can live with the trade-off considering the power and Tiptronic transmission upgrade. The MONSOON stereo is average at best, but I am unfairly comparing it to my 2 custom systems previously. Rear bench seat cannot fold flat unless you have the 2 front seats all the way forward.
Overall review: This model is a "tweener", it was assembled late in 2001 so it's on a B5.5 platform. All it means is that this GLS model got some GLX features: pwr moonroof, leather trim, alloy wheels, heated seats. I found this Variant/Estate(VW's European words for sport wagon)parked between 2 Dodge Ram trucks on a used truck lot a month ago so I got a spectacular deal. I was looking for a 1.8T Passat sedan or Jetta Variant at the time so finding this gem was just gravy. I can haul my fam with luggage/bikes/golf clubs on the 101 fwy cruising 80 with Mercedes-like ride quality. My boss just remarked the ride reminds him of his 04 BMW 5-series. I do not plan on performance upgrading/modififying this one unlike my previous 2 VWs, and my wife can't believe it. She still can't believe I found a wagon that I love and she doesn't mind driving it herself(she has an 06 Honda Odyssey EX-L).
VW customer experience. by Ken Newtown Ct on 02/13/2008. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Excellent handling, overall quality and ride experience.
Cons: < than 48,000 miles engine needs > $11,000 to replace two timing camshaft adjusters. VW declined to offer any allowance whatsoever and walked away from any responsibility.
Overall review: Avoid VW. Check out Subaru instead.