2002 BMW 5-Series

2002 BMW 5-Series Prices
2002 BMW 5-Series Fuel Economy
What a fine automobile! by Best Pal on 10/18/2012. Trim: 2002 BMW 5-Series 530i, Owned 3 years.
Pros: A true classic style - BMW really hit the sweet spot on the E39 design. This a gentlemen car. Great acceleration of 530i with a 5sp manual and still gets 29-30mpg highway and provides you with all creature comforts. Handles like a sports car with the optional sport package. Incredible machine! Mine is 10 years old now and it still feels solid as a brick, no rattles or squeaks and leather still looks awesome.
Cons: Yeah... you've read it a million times: the cup holders are worthless. Also, I don't like the fact that I need to add a quart of oil every 1K to 1.5K miles. Called BMW on this and they said it's normal and within specs :S It doesn't burn oil and just passed smog with flying colors. Go figure what that thing does with all the extra oil you're putting in it. And don't cheap out on tires, get those good al' sticky Michelins and enjoy!
Overall review: 530i is a brilliant marvel of German engineering. Incredibly smooth and quiet. Handles those back road corners like it's glued to asphalt - confidence inspiring and 5sp manual does make you a better driver. When need to pass someone on the freeway to make it to your exit, just a tiny increase in pressure of the right foot gets you from 70 to 100 in no time at all AND It is still so smooth and quiet that you wouldn't know you got to 100 but a quick glance at the speedo reassures you that the power you asked for just a moment ago has been delivered. You take your exit, brake late into the off ramp and slow down just enough not to cause a heart attack to that Camry driver next lane that thinks you're taking the ramp at prohibitively fast speeds and are sure to kill yourself. To his surprise you live and even saved him from a heart attack as you knew that the car could take it 10-15 mph faster. This car looks fantastic from any angle and at any speed. It politely states: "I've arrived".
A great sedan built to be leased. by Gladiator55 on 12/09/2013. Trim: 2002 BMW 5-Series 530i, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: When everything works, it is a dream machine, like an extension of your senses.
Cons: Poor rear leg room, misplaced windshield washer fluid tank-pump, non transparent-heat exposed radiator expansion tank with electronic floating gauge, electronic thermostat, plastic water pump impeller, twisted front power seats (a safety issue), leaky PS hoses, hidden and over-engineered CVV, short lasting VANOS (poor quality O rings), absurd design of screws that hold valve cover perimeter, difficult to reach brake fluid container, complicated gasoline filter change, etc.
Overall review: The best sport sedan, with timeless style.....but too many plastic components that makes it unreliable.
I won't drive anything else by Omie, South CA on 10/25/2007. Trim: 2002 BMW 5-Series 525i, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Have been a bimmer owner for some time, starting with the E30, E36 and few months on E46. I can't believe I waited this long for the 5 series. I have the 525i with prem and spt pkg with the 5spd. This is the most fun I have had since my E30 which was a 325is with the 5spd. I had 3 series during my teens and 20's, when I turned 30 I picked up a used E39 which to me has the classic lines that these cars should have. Dont care much for the new Bangled 5 and 7 series. Chose as used 5 series over a new 3 series and have no regrets as I have driven them both.
Cons: Everyone complains about cup holders, what are you doing drinking and driving anyway. My old E36 2.5l had more HP, so I do feel it here. Had noisy belt tensioner but its common prob on the inline 6 engines, going back to my E36. Again quit complaining about cup holders and drive, that is what this car is meant to be. I you want cup holders buy a wannabe lexus, infinity or acura.
Overall review: Wish I had a longer drive home, everytime I sit in the car the first mile isn't enough I look for the long road home. No regrets on this car, everyone at work wants to drive it but Nope. Drives smooth and takes corners like a sport coupe. Can take friends and family to Vegas or monterey without any probs. Bimmers run in the family, this is my 4th and not my last.
Bargain Basement Bang for the Buck by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/13/2005. Trim: 2002 BMW 5-Series 525i, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: My wife has a 2001 525i. She and the baby were recently T-boned by another car. When I saw how well the BMW protected them, I ditched my Passat for a 2002 525i with the sport package. Her car will soon be out of the shop and we'll be a 2-BMW family. We've had two other BMWs, but these cars are by far the most comfortable, best handling and stylish that we've had. The fit and finish blow the competitors away, and you can't beat the German engineering.
Cons: Cup holders are placed in a bad spot. Don't use them. Your local BMW dealer has several cool cup-holding options to choose from. Both cars have a distinct smell when the A/C comes on... not really bad, just distinct. Also, if you're not the original owner, you may have to have the dealer clear some of the computer-stored personal preferences of the previous owner.
Overall review: Great buy. For the price of an average new car, you can get into a late-model, low-mileage 5 series that will last. A BMW at 25-30K miles is a virtual baby. Try e-bay if you're looking for a bargain... I got the 2001 (Stick) last year on e-bay for 23.7K. The mileage was 41K at the time, and it has 2 years of a certified pre-owned warranty left. The 2002 (Auto with steptronic) was picked up at specialty dealer in the DC area. I paid a bit more, but the miles were under 30K
Best car ever by Rick from Florida on 09/09/2012. Trim: 2002 BMW 5-Series 540i, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: What I like about this car is everything. I bought a 540i. I got it used and it had 127k on it but you would not know it if you drove it. I have had no problems what so ever. Guess i'm just lucky. I've never owned a car like this one and i really dont think i will go back to any other car after this one.
Overall review: Best car ever