2002 BMW 3-Series

I love driving BMWs by Yosemite Bob from San Jose on 10/24/2009. Trim: 2002 BMW 3-Series 330xi, Owned 3 years.
Pros: This is absolutely the best driving car I have ever owned. While I have owned a VW, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Volvo, and Chevy, the BMW is clearly the first car I really love to drive in terms of performance. The handling is great and there not much that is close to it. The 0 to 60 acceleration is just right for me and the gas mileage is impressive. One time I drove on the freeway going a constant 55 mph and got an average of 36 mpg over a 100 mile drive. Most of the time I average about 22 mpg in 70 percent city and 30 percent highway driving. The car has about 80,000 miles on the odometer.
Cons: I purchased the car used with 46k miles on the odometer and had to spend several thousand dollars to replace a number of very expensive parts. The car had constant repair issues over a 18 month period but after I purchased a repair manual and changed out all the wearable parts (bushings, wheel bearings, cv boots, alternator, motor mounts, idler pulley, belts, and steering pump) the car has been fairly reliable for such a high performance car. The climate control system does not have a one-touch off button. The window regulators have been replaced twice. I currently have an oil burning smell coming from the front engine compartment and will likely have to replace the valve cover gasket.
Overall review: Without a question or doubt, BMW makes the best driving car. I really enjoy driving the car each time I get into it. I love the steering wheel to road response feel. The car feels like it is on rails. The performance and handling is ideal. The engine tends to get very hot which results in having to replace more parts sooner in comparison to my other cars. While the BMW costs far more to maintain and repair, a golfer has to pay high green fees, a skier has to pay $90 for a lift ticket, and I have to pay to enjoy and maintain my BMW. While my Lexus has been very reliable and essentially maintenance-free, it is also a boring car to drive. It is going to be tough for me to purchase anything but another BMW when it comes time to replace my current BMW (unless its a Porsche Cayman, MB C63 or an Audi RS4).
Excellent Automobile by DK on 05/23/2011. Trim: 2002 BMW 3-Series 325xi, Owned 3 years.
Pros: This car has great acceleration, fuel economy, performs wonderfully in Northeastern snow, and has held up wonderfully. With accessories off, I get nearly 30 MPG on the highway. I have had very few issues with this car and it has been very reliable to me. Most fun-to-drive and tightly-built automobile I have owned. Over 110k miles with very minor issues to report. Many people mistake this car for a 2005 or newer due to the beautiful styling.
Cons: Parts/Service are very expensive. I needed a new idler tensioner pulley and it was replaced, yet the serpentine belt broke a month later and damaged the transmission cooling line. I took it to a non-BMW dealership to have the issues fixed yet was still shocked at the high price of the parts. Fortunately, parts cost no more than for my 2007 Jeep Wrangler or 2002 Toyota Sequoia. Wood seems to crack easily, as well. Lastly, I do not like the "snobby" factor of BMW's, but all luxury brands seem to gain that image.
Overall review: I have owned several cars over the years, including a 1990 BMW 735i that clocked 140k miles when I sold it. After several Chrysler, GM, Toyota and Mitsubishi products, I have come to the realization that BMW produces some of the greatest automobiles on the road. The number of older BMW's that are still driving on the road is testament to their quality and durability. I have had issues with basically every car I have ever owned, but NO car made it this far without major issues. Certainly my 325xi is not perfect, but close to it given the miles. I absolutely love owning this car and would not hesitate to buy another one. I would recommend learning how to do basic service (oil, air filters), but the car has been excellent to me. I love the online BMW community, as well. They are very helpful with solving issues/questions with these cars.
The Ultimate Driving Machine by Speedster on 04/17/2006. Trim: 2002 BMW 3-Series 325Ci coupe, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I like everything about this car from looks to performance
Cons: The only draw back for me is the amount of work and re-wiring of the car's stereo system. If you are like me and like to do custom work in the inside of your car such as in-dash tv's, head rest, and amps and subs then be prepared to do a lot of work. Compared to custumizing the inside of the Acura or Toyota to the BMW's it is very difficult, and the amount of space under the dashboard is to small, you need someone with small hands to get behind all of the tight compartments.
Overall review: My overall rating for this car is once you test drive it you will want it. This is an excellent car. I had driven many cars from Lexus to Mercedies and the acura 3.2 TL was one of my favorites until I drove the BMW 3 series.
BeamerLoveNoMore by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/19/2007. Trim: 2002 BMW 3-Series 325xi, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I like everything about the car.... except for the issues mentioned in "cons"
Cons: Bought it new in 2002. Since then, had to bring it back to the dealer for replacing (4) window operators. Starter defect found after the 2nd year. Afther 5 years - just magically right after warranty expried! - rear window molding is peeled off (found to be attached to the car body via "stick-on" glue! - is this really German engineering?); and whenever it rains water is found puddling up in all footwell. The dealer tried to "fix" door seals (4) times, but water/moisture still infiltrate. Hint: If your car windshield is fogging up after rainy wheather -->> Check under the floor mat!
Overall review: I love the car; but because of this water infiltration problem, I must get rid of it........Anyone wants to buy a leaky beamer??????
Love It by Dielon from Virginia on 12/23/2012. Trim: 2002 BMW 3-Series 325i, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Love the way this thing handles, although you have to put premium in it i still manage around 25-27 mpg in town and as much as 32 mpg on the highway! This is better than my old accord got. Love the five speed and the clutch take-up not shallow like other cars i have driven. Still looks good 10 years later and the styling is still up to date. People think it is much newer than a 2002. Love that it has pre-drilled holes to add a roofrack.
Cons: I sometimes regret not getting the bigger motor.(I have the 2.5L) This car is quick in high RPM but sometimes i find myself wishing for just a little more power. The only gripe o really have is that some of the plastics scratch really easily on the car and there are parts of the headliner that have begun to sag and peel back.
Overall review: Great car would absolutely buy another one. You just have to find one that has been properly maintained. Have had mine about a year and have only done regular oil changes and changed the valve cover gasket(common problem) Dont take it to the dealer either, I found a little indy shop near my house that specializes in BMW, much much cheaper! Dont let other reviews scare you off, this car is AWESOME!