2002 Volvo V40

2002 Volvo V40 Prices
2002 Volvo V40 Fuel Economy
Volvo V40 by Saxman on 01/24/2006. Trim: 2002 Volvo V40 1.9T, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Performance improves as the mileage increases. Never had any trouble with the engine (my wife and I drove it hard).
Cons: Turbo boost was a bit peaky - came on strong all of a sudden. The steering felt a bit heavy. We had to replace the light bulbs too often; seemed like every month one or two bulbs would burn out. The brake pads never seemed to last more than 5 to 6 months. Dealer could never accurately estimate how much wear was left on the pads, therefore we replaced brake rotors often, which was expensive. The dealer explained that since we lived up in the hills, our brakes wore out a lot faster (that was bull). My other complaint is with the tires. Because of the Turbo, the V40 is rated at a top speed of 149mph, which requires the use of high performance tires, costing $150 each (even at Costco).
Overall review: After 50K we used an independent Volvo mechanic, who felt that the 7500 mile service intervals are too long, and that typically, Volvos should be serviced every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. In which case you can avoid scraping the brake rotors. the 30K and 60K services were about $800 at the dealer. My advice is to find a good indenpendent Volvo mechanic whether you buy new or used. They are less expensive and will give you the truth about how to maintain a Volvo! Good car, but maintenance is expensive for an entry level car. Once the lease expired, we turned it in.
V40 Sport Wagon by Greg from Illinois on 10/22/2005. Trim: 2002 Volvo V40 1.9T, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Very comforatable ride from the driver's seat for long trips. The performance from this little 1.9T is good. I get great gas milage in all types of traffic. Aniversary Package included most of the options I would have ordered anyway. Leather on seating surfaces is very easy to keep clean and looks great. Great modular cargo space for many differant loads.
Cons: Volvo/Mitsubishi progect shows a lot of Mitsu influence (not bad but if I wanted a DSM I would have bought one). Backseat room is very tight. When I picked up the car and started driving it to my home in Germany, a wheel weight fell off about 100 miles away from home. A problem with the paint on the tailgate (looks like a belimish between the primer and paint causes a bubble about the size of a dime). Not very stylish standard wheel package.
Overall review: I bought this car through the Military/Diplomatic Car sales program in 2002. I got to go to Sweden and tour the factory (V40s are made in Belgium though) for the price of my destination charge. I feel I got a great car for the price. A little help from IPDUSA and EuroSport and now this car is quick little track burner. Volvo dealers in Germany and in my home town of Moline Ill. have been great. Thanks Volvo
The "Big" V40 by An MSN Autos Consumer on 06/21/2005. Trim: 2002 Volvo V40 1.9T, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Total paqckage, feels like a much bigger car. Great handling and road manners. 50k trouble free miles.
Cons: Expensive dealer parts.
Overall review: Wanted the BMW wagon, bought this one because for 4000$ I got pretty much the same car (with more options). I normally get a new vehicle every 50k. This one is a keeper for at least another 50k.
An excellent choice by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/28/2004. Trim: 2002 Volvo V40 1.9T, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Fit and finish, turbo-charged engine, smaller wagon, options, safety
Cons: Slightly underpowered, some lag. Handling/ride could be improved to make it more of a sports wagon. Small wheels/tires.
Overall review: An excellent option in the near-luxury, small wagon segment. Great looking car with a myriad of safety features and useful optional equipment. Performs very well.
great car and not too common by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/13/2004. Trim: 2002 Volvo V40 1.9T, Owned 3 years.
Overall review: a good solid fun-to-drive car