2002 Land Rover Discovery

Rover Realist by Dohertys in Marshfield on 12/08/2004. Trim: 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Styling, durability, reliability, overall smooth operation. Great in inclement weather. Spacious for passengers and cargo. Fun to drive, in its own way. Major controls (radio, HVAC, power windows) logical and easy to operate.
Cons: Gas mileage (what else). Engine somewhat underpowered, but only noticeable when the auto transmission occasionally hunts for the right gear going uphill. Scheduled maintenance expensive.
Overall review: The complaints about this truck are amusing. If it's luxury you seek more than anything else, buy a Lexus or an X5. The Disco is what it appears to be: a real truck that was originally geared towards maximizing off-road ability. It has two live axles, an overhead valve V8 of ancient design, old-tech worm-and-roller steering and a short wheelbase. These vehicles are used as ambulances, military vehicles and fire trucks in other parts of the world. Credit LR's engineering for making the Disco competent in everyday use, but it will surely disappoint someone looking for total luxury. I have owned my Discovery for 2 1/2 years and have taken it off-road numerous times in addition to trips to the mall. It excels in both areas. Despite what some have written, I haven't had one reliability-related issue in the time I have owned it. It has been even more reliable than a Nissan Pathfinder I owned some years ago. If you are looking to buy, do so with confidence but understand what you are buying.
A great truck in theory. (I wish LR built it as well as it's designed!) by Land Cruiser guy in Wisconsin on 07/24/2006. Trim: 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Best looking Truck on the market, by far. The appearance screams out "Take me off road." Interior comfort features are top notch. The vehicle is a superb off roader for the most part. The DII was hard to get some aftermarket parts for for a while, but that has improved a lot since there are more affordable used trucks on the market, more people are beginning to buy them for off-roading, and the parts suppliers are catching up. This is the best looking SUV out there, bar none. When I bought it, my neighbor told me "The only problem with it is is that you're married!" It's styling has way more character than my Land Cruiser.
Cons: While it looks a lot better than the Land Cruiser, the Land Cruiser has it beat in reliability. The truck has a procilivty to go through head gaskets. For those of you not doing your own work, this can cost well over $2000+. And I know people who have done it 3 times within 100,000 miles. Electrical problems galore. Watch your driveshafts too. If they break, they can take your whole transfer case/transmission with them. This is the only vehicle I know of where driveshafts are considered a "maintenance item." If you do heavy off roading, you will break something eventually. The parts on US Land Rovers are not the military grade parts you find on these vehicles in other countries.
Overall review: The Disco is long on looks, and short on quality. The US version's mechanicals are watered down, lighter duty parts, and you will eventually break stuff off road. LR owners fascinate me when they are willing to accept things like head gaskets every 50K miles as "par for the course." It should NOT be like this. Many, many qaulity problems this vehicle are dismissed by apologists as "part of owning a Land Rover." (Many are even quite snobbish about it, as though it's something to be proud of!) I love Land Rover, don't get me wrong, but you can have better quality from a Chevy Cobalt. The sad fact is, when the extended warranty expires, the vehicle will be sold. For the money, a used Toyota Land Cruiser will give you all the Rover gives you (even off road ability) with far fewer headaches. The DII is a great truck "in theory." But, LRs execution of it is merely mediocre. Quality control would do wonders at Land Rover.
A place to put your extra money! by K&C in Iowa on 05/08/2006. Trim: 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Will go anywhere you want to go!
Cons: Will cost alot if you break anything, and when it breaks itself. Alot of oil leak problems,Land rover warrenty very hard to deal with, took 3 months to fix valve cover oil leak(i was without a car the whole time) under warrenty.
Overall review: Costs alot, don't get alot!
A truly stand alone vehicle by Seth from Chicago, IL on 03/28/2003. Trim: 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I like to entire look and feel of the vehicle. I like the ride height and the overall experience of the truck. There is not an American made vehicle that competes with the Discovery in the execution of style, performance and pleasure.
Cons: The thing that sucks the most, besides the gas mileage, is the squeaking. I mean it squeaks just rolling down the road. A $40K truck should not squeak, am I wrong?
Overall review: After six months of worry free driving I am 95% pleased with my purchase(Squeaks!). The only thing I hate myself for is not waiting for the 2003 Discovery. The added horsepower of the 03 must make this truck one of the best on the planet. The only thing I fear is that Ford will destroy everything BMW has done right for Land Rover. Please don't change the LR to resemble the Explorer--Please!
The Most top heavy SUV ever by BOB THE RATER on 12/17/2001. Trim: 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: NICE INTERIOR STONG
Cons: TOP HEAVY!!!
Overall review: THIS THING IS SO TOP HEAVY IT WILL ROLLOVER EVEN IN THE CITY, I HAVE HAD IT ON TWO WHEELS ON MY STREET, THE TURNS ARNT EVEN 90DEGREE ANGLES. (I WAS GOING 30MPH BY THE WAY)