2002 Nissan Altima

another dissastified nissan owner by kjg on 03/30/2011. Trim: 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, Owned 9 years.
Pros: 4 cylinder engines are JUNK !!!! Expect troubles and no help from Nissan!!!!!
Cons: engines go bad
Overall review: do not purchase Customer Commitment is poor.
Altima 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder is a poor engine with hidden past by Bryan from NW on 10/30/2013. Trim: 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: The 2.5 liter 4 cylinder is problematic. Nissan does a good job deleting many of the bad postings for this early rev of this engine. I went through 3 engines in total. The issue is the head gasket leak that will eventually damage the engine requiring replacement. Unless it was detected before the 60,000 mile warranty, Nissan would not cover the repair. I purchased my first engine replacement ($5,000) believing I may have had a poor quality engine. The new engine had only a 30,000 warranty. At about 40,000 miles it started to have early symptom that were indicative of the problems I had with the original motor. Alas, it was not covered under warranty.
Cons: 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder engine is very poor quality. truly. The 6 cylinder is a solid engine. I ended up finding my 3rd engine at a wrecking yard where they had pulled it from the same year and model Altima, cost was $2000 total. It ran for another 25,000 before it too developed the head gasket leak that plagued all the other 2.5 liter engines of that year. I believe this engine continued to be an issue for Nissan for a few years until they figured it out. Nissan has done an incredible job at managing this public awareness of this problematic motor.
Overall review: They never made good on it and I had wished there had been a class action law suit. I ended up donating the car to charity for a tax right off. I have friends with Nissans that love them, but they all have the Nissan 6 cylinder engines. I suspect Nissan has worked out the kinks, but too late for many of us original owners. I have a bad taste in my mouth as a result of the way Nissan handled this issue, especially their public denials. I recommend you stay away from this particular engine. Note that Suburu's 2.5 liter is also known to have similar issues with the head gasket and subsequent engine damage. You should be aware if you are not, that manufacturers track the public sentiment about what people are saying about them, if only for damage control. They can and do pay for ghost writers to counter negative reviews. Shame, shame. My two cents.
Best Car Ever by Parks from Kentucky on 07/04/2009. Trim: 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, Owned 7 years.
Pros: My Altima is the best car I've ever had. It is easy to get in and out of with kids and adults. The trunk is big enough to hold 4 large rolling suit cases, which makes it easy to travel.
Cons: I have leather seats makes it hot in the summer and cold during the winter. It's easy to clean a messy up, but still a flaw.
Overall review: I would reccomend this car to anyone for any age. I bought me car when I was 16 and it's doing fine. This car is user friendly, and an all around great car.
Best Sedan for the Money by Tim from Madison, WI on 10/17/2005. Trim: 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, Owned 4 years.
Pros: This car has everything you'd want from a sporty sedan. The acceleration is excellent, yet you don't have to give up on gas mileage to get it. I average 30 mpg highway driving at 75 mph. The rear seats have plenty of room for three tall passengers. The ride is quiet and the radio has volume compensation for exterior noise. The sound system is unbelievable for a stock system! You have to hear the sound quality to believe it.
Cons: I wish I had heated seats for the winter.
Overall review: If you're looking for a reliable, but very fast sedan, this is it. There's no need to spend top dollar for a new Altima, I bought mine in 2001 and I wouldn't trade it for a new one. I love this car!
My Love by Kendra from Illinois on 06/29/2004. Trim: 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I love this car, I have had no problems except for the few recalls that its had but that could happen to any car. I love the way it drives and the fact that it has alot of room. It drives smooth and the gas mileage isnt bad. It also has good pick-up and acceleration for a 4-cyl.
Cons: The only problem I have is the 4 recalls that were found on my car and also the tires that are on my car wore down quickly, I dont know if its because of the car or the tires theirself.
Overall review: Overall I would recommend this car it runs well and the performance isnt bad at all. If you are looking for something affordable and roomy this is your car.