2002 Toyota RAV4

My Silver Runaround by Chuck on 01/17/2011. Trim: 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Looks & reliability. 4WD great for me in the mountains.
Cons: Took me forever to find the jack under the passenger seat. Have had to replace the rear windshild wiper three times.
Overall review: Had a recall but Toyato took care of everything.
246,000 miles!! by nutting on 11/02/2009. Trim: 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: 246,000 miles and counting! Awesome and so reliable! Great mileage, lots of room.
Cons: I wish it had better intermittent wiper speed
Overall review: The best vehicle I have ever owned!
Stay Away! Get the CRV! by Zoe on 04/24/2009. Trim: 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Cargo space, Cuteness, thats about it
Cons: Sluge in oil, transmission not going to last, bad reviews for a reason
Overall review: bought this car 3 months ago from a dealer, with 61,000 miles, expecting to drive it for another 10 years. First problem I noticed was 62 days after purchase, 9 seconds of thick blue smoke on start up. Immediatly called dealership and they said don't worry we'll take care of it. Well, they put high milage oil in it and away i went. Waited a week to see if the oil would do the trick to swell the seals they thought were leaking. Still 9 seconds of blue smoke. Now as I am waiting for dealership to find me a car for an even trade (which they don't have to do, very nice of them), I am noticing transmission issues, putting car in reverse and it snaps into gear, etc. I loved this car and overlooked the possible slugde issue and possible transmission issue. I have lost all faith in this car and brand, and can't wait to get rid of it. CRV here I come!
AVOID: ENGINE SLUDGE KNOWN BY MANUFACTUER by ME from MI on 08/05/2008. Trim: 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Styling is great. Gas mileage is ok. It looks awsome. ENGINE SLUDGE KNOWN BY MANUFACTUER.
Cons: I've owned it since new. I am a mechanic that strictly follows the maintenance schedule. Radio went out at 5000 miles. Water pump went at 30,000 miles. Check engine light stayed on 50,000 miles; ended up having recall to fix (Toyota waited 5 years to recall it).Seats are not comfortable for long trips. Engine started accumulating sludge at 70,000 miles (oil has been changed every 3k). Engine sludge has been the subject of Toyota/Lexus being sued recently. Avoid at all costs.
Overall review: Do not buy. The engines will, will sludge out. Open the oil filler and look inside, you'll see the oil burnt on to the cam lobes. Start it up after it sits, you will see a small puff of smoke at first (due to damage from sludge). This is not a 1 time occurence for my vehicle, it is a known manufactuer defect. Examine the hood, paint will be chipped.
Russ' RAV by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/18/2007. Trim: 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Great looks. Great handling. Economical. Reliable.
Cons: The rattle!
Overall review: One of the best cars I have ever owned.