1992 Ford Tempo

1992 Ford Tempo pictures are not available
1992 Ford Tempo Prices
1992 Ford Tempo Fuel Economy
Awesome little car. by Mullet Man from Peru, Indiana on 03/14/2007. Trim: 1992 Ford Tempo GL Sedan, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Very easy to work with, great gas mileage (I spend $20 bucks a week to go to Kokomo (20 miles away) and back for 6 trips a week, around 240 miles plus in-town miles). Parts easy to locate through junk yards and aftermarket. Power Door Locks. Got it for $785 from $900 since it had a valve cover gasket leak (a $40 part, btw). Thus with parts and this price it's still under blue book value. Wasn't too hard to fix her up and make her a perfect little car.
Cons: Automatic Seat Belts-worse invention ever, driver's side one failed. Minor electrical issues (passenger side power windows don't work). Rust in the trunk and in the rear under the car. Spent $700 in parts since I got it 5 months ago. Doesn't like the winter all that much, so I'm getting a car for the winter this fall. (preferably a first gen Ford Explorer or a Jeep Wrangler of similar year). Leaks either tranny or power steering (front wheel drive, they're both in the area of the leak puddle).
Overall review: Despite the needs for parts, it is one tough car. Hit the garage with it twice, ran into the fence, stranded it in a ditch, and the thing still chugs along. The engine needs rebuilding, I'll be doing that next summer (I'll have another car then to drive and hopefully enough money). I recommend this car, also check out the Tempo/Topaz Car Club of North America for more info on this car and for help fixing it in the forums. The car doesn't stall anymore since I got the vaccuum leak fixed thus it more than likely isn't something Tempos are really prone to. I love this car and will never part with it (plan on restoring it, doing a tranny swap, rebuilding the engine, repaint and body work, and some performance upgrades).
I will never get rid of this car, I love it! by John on 10/24/2006. Trim: 1992 Ford Tempo LX Sedan, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Excelent power from the 3.0L V6, makes the car quite quick. Comfortable interior (LX model has nicer seats, etc), good A/C, etc. Its a pretty good combination of power, gas mileage, room, and price. I'll never sell it.
Cons: 3-speed automatic transmission, which is why I'm planning to put a 5-speed manual in it. At 155K miles, it still shifts ok but is leaking fluid regularly and is getting noisy. Other than that, nothing else to complain about. Some repairs include: Heater core, wheel bearings, motor mount, EGR valve, etc. Nothing unusual, no real high-dollar items, and nothing very frequent or repedative.
Overall review: I have owned this car for a quite a while. I knew I wanted a Tempo LX with the 3.0L V6 and I finnaly found this one on a dealers lot in pretty good shape. I have since doubled its mileage, taking it on at least a dozen cross-country trips. Its never failed me once. I recently did a major tune up and now the engine runs better than ever. I cannot believe how fast this car actually is. I've raced a few of my freinds and I've never lost (even against VTEC Hondas!). The car is smooth and reliable, much better than the basic GL trim (I've had some 4cyl GL models, the LX is like a whole other class of car).
1992 Tempo by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/15/2005. Trim: 1992 Ford Tempo GL Sedan, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I've been driving this baby for 12 years and I love it. It has only been in the last couple of years that after 110,000 miles that I am starting to have problems both with the engine and the electrical system. I live in New England and can drive this car thru anything. The idea of getting rid of it doesn't rest easy with me. Recommend this car to anyone. Never had an accident in it, fairly good gas milege. Just need to stay on top of the maintenance. I'm sorry they stopped making it. I would buy another in a second.
Cons: As is typical of Ford cars, the locks/doors freeze shut in the winter rain/snow. Don't know if it is typical, but electrical seems to be an issue. Have had to replace the driver window motor twice. Driver passenger window motor doesn't work and electrical lock is out of commission on both sides of passenger rear.
Overall review: Great car. No doubt about it
Reliable with some GO power! by ML in Denver on 11/22/2004. Trim: 1992 Ford Tempo GLS Sedan, Owned 7 years.
Pros: V6 engine, great get-up & go. It's fun to shock people who wouldn't think an older car can accelerate that well. Very reliable, has never stranded me in seven years. Great handling, small size makes for easy maneuverability and wedging into tight parking spaces. Good gas mileage.
Cons: Exterior trim paint flaked off and had to be repainted. No cupholders inside. Speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. Firewall makes it difficult to get to the back 3 spark plugs--only a problem if you prefer to change your own. Automatic seatbelts can be annoying.
Overall review: Good little car! I would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind the stigma of an older vehicle. With regular maintenance and a few minor repairs, it has been quite reliable.
1992 Ford Tempo GL by Jeff from Harrisburg IL on 10/17/2002. Trim: 1992 Ford Tempo GL Sedan, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Like it's everyday drivability and is a good performer in its role as our family car. Gas mileage has been good and maitenence costs have not been extreme.
Cons: Have had a problem with the ignition system. The TFI module, mounted under the side of the distributor cap has failed on a couple of occasions in high heat situations.(in the summer months) Failure of the unit will result in stalling of the engine.It is not a "shade-tree mechanic" fix and the part alone ranges from $80 to $150. It is hard for service dept's to diagnose because the module only will fail testing when it is hot to the point of failure.
Overall review: I have owned my Tempo for 4 years now, and have put 16,000 miles on in that time.This vehicle registered 104,000 at time of purchase and was bought from an individual. Maintenence costs for this car have totaled around $1600 for the 4 years I have owned it. The ride is still good, but a little cramped up for me.(I am 6'1"-255lbs) Still managing around 25mpg on a full tank to empty. Tires have worn evenly and have been properly rotated on schedule. Engine(2.3L 4cyl)has not used oil and gaskets have stayed in good shape. Safety features on our car offer a driver's side air bag and child locks on the rear doors, which have been handy to our family due to our toddler(who likes to escape from his car seat on occasion) A/C works great and has required no service since ownership. Overall, a good bargain for a family of less than avg. income without sacrificing quality and safety...