2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

workhorse by Hoofinit Alabama on 09/13/2013. Trim: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I have almost 300,000 miles on mine. I drive it through pastures, haul feed , etc. I do not pamper a car. Don't care what it looks like, I want a car that will do whatever I need. Have no problems except the oxygen sensor code comes on, but a bottle of Lucas gas treatment fixes it every time it happens( which I found out was a common problem with gas purchased at one particular local gas station).
Cons: The biggest problem I have is it is difficult to do routine repairs or replace parts that naturally need replacing with time and milage like the alternator. Everything is so compacted that it is time- comsuming and aggravating. It is smaller than many SUVs.
Overall review: Little on the small side as SUVs go. But tough enough to do what I want when I want it to.Gets abt 22 mpg hwy.
I LOVE MY CAR by Grass Valley Gramma on 07/31/2008. Trim: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Very solid. Good gas mileage for a 6 cyl.
Cons: I'm short so it's a little harder for me to in and out than it would be for a taller person.
Overall review: I LOVE MY CAR !!!!!!!
Nice but not nice enough by Bummin02 on 07/23/2008. Trim: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The vehicle looks sharp and has a nice looking interior, however not on par for the price tag compared to competition. It performs decent around town and in winter conditions.
Cons: Highway driveability is subpar. The high profile of the vehicle makes highway driving a nervous situation. Insufficient power for towing comfortably. Good luck trading one off!
Overall review: We have owned a 2002 Montero Sport for the past 4 years. We have owned 5 Explorers, 2 Durangos, 3 S-10 Blazers, a Honda Passport, a '99 Blazer, and a handful of cars and pickups in the past 20 years. The Montero was purchased to replace the '99 Blazer, which we felt had seen its better days. It was a spur of the moment purchase and a regretted one at that. The vehicle gets blown around by every gust of wind while driving down the road and even in the absence of wind feels like it is "tracking" odd. Last winter a group of friends and I took a ski trip starting in a town 200 miles away from my family's home. The initial leg of the trip was done in a 1992 GMC Sierra extended cab because our gear didn't fit in our cars. The final 300 mile leg was done in the Montero. Although the GMC was crowded with 4 big males, I would have preferred it to the Montero. The fuel economy wouldn't have varied too much either. The 3.5's mpg is nearly as poor as a 5.7 and lacks the power.
CHEAP BUT DULL by Frank from Bradenton,FL on 03/16/2004. Trim: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: it meets all of my needs -roomy,comfortable,inexpensive
Cons: poor traction-needs 4 WD or at least traction control -uninspired and dated styling
Overall review: Needs to be thoroughly redesigned to be competitive with newer SUVs-needs character-chassis needs updating
A Driving Pleasure by head_97racing on 12/09/2002. Trim: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: After having a pick-up truck for 2 years this vehicle was a treat to drive. There is tons of room and it is quite comfortable. Is especially love the storage place on the "ceiling" for sunglasses, gate key and garage door opener.
Cons: Very pleased with it!
Overall review: I love driving this vehicle. I highly recommend it for anybody looking for a SUV. It looks great inside and outside. I would definately consider getting another Montero Sport when I trade in this one!