2002 Nissan Maxima

Reliable Sedan by Crazydriver from Baltimore on 05/31/2011. Trim: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Good power, decent fuel economy- about 28mpg highway and 22 city. Interior controls are easy to use (air conditioning, CD player controls, ect). 60/40 rear fold down seats that fold from within the car (parents own a civic where you have to pull a switch in the trunk to fold down the seat). Headlights and fog lights provide good visibility. Handling is responsive, windows are well placed as to not block driver's view (such as problematic with prius 4). Power outlet available to the back seat is really useful for those of us with passengers playing laptops on long trips sitting in back.
Cons: Thinking of replacing the wheels because I hate paying $180 per 17' tire. My CD changer skips (read in the manual to not use CD-Rs, that they may cause a malfunction. So much for mix CDs). Also the left speakers will go out if you hit a bump wrong, then come back if you bump just right. Turning radius is a bit high, but not too bad. The oxygen sensor or its light keeps coming on. I took it in to the dealer shop and they charged me $200 for diagnostic, reset the light and tell me "oxygen gets in there sometimes, screw the gas cap tighter." Replace that sensor if it gives you trouble. In the trunk, the mat is flimsy and is starting to cave in.
Overall review: Overall, I have really enjoyed my Maxima. Its flaws are minor in my opinion, (CD player I plan to upgrade anyway), the wheel size, and probably have to replace the oxygen sensor to make the "service engine" light go off (otherwise, it won't pass state inspection). Friends enjoy the comfortable leather power seats, moonroof, power windows, the cool blue headlights that are bright enough to see but not the annoying blinding blue lights that some people have. Have 80k miles on it so far. My goal is to push this car to 200k. Don't let me down Nissan = )
VQ wins again! by Doctor J on 09/02/2011. Trim: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Previously owned a 97 Maxima with a 3.0L engine. Bought this vehicle used with the 3.5L engine with about 80k miles on it....owned it about a year and a half and NO problems whatsoever. The car is actually pretty light compared to other sedans....I have the 6SPD manual transmission and its a blast to drive. The engine is very powerful...more than anyone will use in a normal daily drive. I live the heated seats, they get VERY hot fast!! In the winter that is a good thing! the ride is comfortable and low noise inside the car when on the freeway.
Cons: Turning radius is garbage. CD player skips and sometimes speaker cuts off (getting ready to go aftermarket anyway). The thing seems to consume oil....doesnt BURN it just consumes oil...have to check the oil stick every 2 weeks and add about 1/3 quart. I heard it had somethign to do with the rings in the pistons. All these things are minor things...TO ME.
Overall review: the car is a blast to drive. Its OK on MPG....Im used to driving 6 cylinders....so Im used to low 20MPG ratings. Its not a Civic so dont expect 30+MPG. I would recommend this car to anyone....
Great dependable car by Rem on 06/15/2013. Trim: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: These Maximas are reliable and last forever if maintained them right. This Maxima just like my 2012 model but has better features and sporty styling had SE sedan was great car. Bose stereo was impressive and comfortable loved the sunroof and the body styling was great with beautiful taillights and fancy front end. These 5th generation Maximas are great cars that last forever with lots of oil changes and proper maintenance the 6 speed transmission was smooth with a 255hp VQ engine that was great i love the Maximas and all Nissan products old and new.
Cons: premium fuel.
Overall review: This is a excellent car with high mileage and extremely reliable.
Maxine is her name! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/31/2012. Trim: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, Owned 10 years.
Pros: PROS - I purchased my Max in 2002 (14k miles on it) and I've had it 10 years (172k miles presently) this year. This car was great when I first purchased it and it's great now! I've only had to replace my headlamps once (it was costly, but hey... xenon) I've had to replace the O2 sensor a couple of times, too, as others have stated. Also, because the car is built for speed & performance w/ one of the best engines in the world, mind you, you'll have to buy tires more than regularly. Oh yeah, and brakes need to be serviced regularly. But, these are all minor things in comparison to what other cars put you thru in repairs. This is why these are PROS.
Cons: Honestly, I have no cons. I stated above what things need to be repaired and what a buyer should be prepared to repair on this vehicle... but if you never want to replace your O2 sensor, your brakes, or headlamps - never drive a Maxima. However, if you want 252 horses pulling you through traffic, if you don't mind putting in premium gas to get premium results out of your vehicle, buy one from a reputable dealer and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Overall review: If you're a single person w/o a dog or any children - leather seats! If you have a dog or kids - cloths seats!
awsome car by Ivin from Houston TX. on 11/15/2010. Trim: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Excellent power.This car has been a excellent car. I've own this car for 6 years and I have had no issues.
Cons: Parking brake handle on driver side of the shift handle.
Overall review: I would recommenf this vehicle to onyone.