2002 Volkswagen Jetta

bummer by know better now on 10/26/2011. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Not much anymore. owned it for less than 2 years and spent over $4500 in repairs.
Cons: Windows literally fell out, inside trim slowly broke, coolant problems including fouling out engine from faulty oil coolant part, bad engine coil, brake problems, etc., etc. Now that it is running well, going to sell it asap.
Overall review: Don't buy this car. Save yourself repair costs and buy some other car.
The best ever by Nite Cap from Las Vegas on 02/26/2009. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Very dependable, excellent gas mileage (48 - 52 MPG), easy to drive in town and hwy, will keep up with traffic on the hwy. I have 141,000 miles and it still has enough power to lay rubber in second gear. Everything is origanil except the battery and tires. What supprised me is the fact that I HAVE NOT replaced the clutch and replaced the brakes only once.
Cons: The head rest in the back seat creates a blind spot across the back window, ( I take the head rest off to solve the problem), to recline the backs of the front seat it is necessary to use a handle that you have to screw in order to recline instead of a lever, cup holders do wear out.
Overall review: GREAT, GREAT CAR, I AM 62 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED
Second Review of my 1.8T after 1.5 Years of Ownership by Daniel on 09/09/2005. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great styling, car looks flat out awesome! The engine is a marvel of modern technology -- 180HP from a 1.8 4 Cylinder. Personally, mine is modified with a new ECU Chip so my car puts out about 230HP and 230lb ft of torque all at the same sub-2000RPM as a normal 1.8T. The TripTronic is another one of my favorite features. It gives me the option to shift myself or let the tranny do its own thing in traffic or while I'm on my cel. The sound system is great. The interior quality is second to none. All of the clever VW features are nice touches as well. A deciding factor in my purchase was also the fully transferable warranty.
Cons: I don't like that it has had to go to the shop so many times. The VW service near me used to have some horrible staff but within the last 6mths has fired this one guy who was simply rude, unfriendly, and nasty and replaced him with some people who are nice. All of my problems seem to be seperate from the recalls (windows falling, ignition coils). My problems include things like speaker going dead, battery not holding charges. And, my absolute biggest complaint is the AUTOMATIC transmission!!! It doesnt know what it is doing. Sometimes it shifts at 3400 during a light acceleration. It also clunks really bad between 3rd and 4th. VW looked at this 3 times and says nothing is wrong mechanically.
Overall review: And, last but not least (especially @ $3.00 a gallon) GAS MILEAGE!! I keep track of every tank and my lifetime mileage ranges from 24-32. Total average is between 27 and 28. This car is an awesome car with a lot of punch. I have had NO problems with the engine and can feel what a tough growler it is and know it will last me till 200,000 miles. I'm at 44,000 now and will go out of warranty early next year and I don't fear repairs at all. I am confident that these Jettas, even with all of their early repairs will be looked upon as reliable cars in just a few years.
Disappointed by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/28/2005. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I like the power this car has
Cons: It's really small inside, the upholstery collects every type of lint possible...hard to keep it clean
Overall review: 2
Great car by Macsplinter, Bristol on 03/31/2014. Trim: 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Handling and performance has been great. Very easy to get around in traffic
Cons: Painted trim in the interior peels off. Expensive parts with things break
Overall review: I have owned over thirty five new cars and this has been one of the best. After 150000 miles still no rattles or creaks. Great fuel mileage.