2006 Hyundai Sonata

Solid. by Dwood on 02/23/2011. Trim: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The mileage is great. It varies greatly depending on how fast you drive. At 80+ mph on the highway i get about 28 mph, and 60-65 I get up to 35 depending how level the driving surface is (4 cyl.). Dont ask me why I tried it, but on a closed course, the car will do 120+ mph. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the backseat legroom. I get compliments on it all the time, but it also means I am always the one taking co-workers to lunch. I have not had one problem for 98000 miles - I change my own oil with full synthetic every 5000 - 6000 miles.
Cons: The only thing that I do not like about this car - the front cupholders. Are you kidding me? No divider? You accelerate, your cup falls over. You decelerate, your cup falls over. Always keep something in one of the cup holders to keep your used cup stable. Other than that... NO ISSUES! If a cupholder is the only complaint, then you have found a great car!
Overall review: I would recommend this car to anyone. The young 25 year old man in me wishes I had a fun fast car and this is not it. But it is not built to be that. It handles great for what it is, and even the 4 cylinder has plenty of power. I am not too thrilled with the resale value, but I also do not plan to resell it anytime soon. My only regret is that I did not get the 6 cylinder.
GREAT CAR by RICHARD on 09/10/2011. Trim: 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: I love this car,its the 3rd HYUNDAI Ive owned 1st was a 2000 Santa Fe 4 whl dr v-6 w/leather,only problem was air vents to small for vechicle.next was a 2004 Sonata 4cyl.,it was a great car,no problems at all,just like the 2006 much better.
Cons: not a thing
Overall review: glad it only has 64000 on the mileage,maybe good for another 5 years
I would do it again!! by USAFGaBoy!! on 04/30/2011. Trim: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: We bought ours to get out from under our 2000 Ford Expedition. Hyundai has great body lines, roomy, V-6 with leather, power, performance coupled with the great gas mileage. Redesigned engine worried me, but after over 120K miles no issues. All together I would say it is a great car (Bye, Bye Expedition) at a great price!!
Cons: Our only issues with the car was the cruise would not lock on, that ended up being a sensor(?) in the braking system that Hyundai covered (65K miles) and again later same problem, but the second time I paid. It wasn't that much!! I tried to deal in 2010 on a new Santa Fe and the trade in value was horrible. We were just looking and didn't really want to get rid of our 2006 Sonata. Ours has a package that they do not offer anymore (GLS with leather, etc.).
Overall review: Definitely one of the best cars we have ever purchased and my only concern is the depreciation of the vehicle. They truly take a NOSE DIVE when you drive them off the lot.... but most do nowadays, hence the GAP insurance.
The ultimate family car by Chester on 10/31/2010. Trim: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Excellent passing power, decent handling for a passenger vehicle, and very good gas mileage for a six cyliinder. The car is very generic, but has great fit and finish and the paint is not peeling off like my Chevrolet Berretta.
Cons: Needed new O2 sensor at 23000 miles and windshield washer died at 44000 miles. Sometimes there is a lag in acceleration from slower speeds.
Overall review: For the price of $18300 this car cannot be beat. It is not a sports car, but it handles very well for a passenger car. It puts the Camrys, Accords, and Altimas to shame. When buying get the six cylinder which gets almost as good gas mileage as the four. I normally get 25.5 in the city and have gotten 34.3 on the highway driving 65 with the cruise on. At 80 I am down to 27.6 which is a lot better than most. I don't mind the generic looks since I like to be inconspicuous on the road. In summation, a very reliable family car with safety features only found on more expensive vehicles and decent gas mileage with excellent pickup with the six.
Buyer Beware by Rick from Hammond on 12/31/2008. Trim: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Fuel efficency, peppy performance for a 4 cylinder
Cons: The car started to fall apart at 75k miles, conveniently just after the warranty stops coving most items. I have had it in the shop twice to address issues with the passenger side airbag/seatbelt, have had to have the windshield wiper pump replaced and now the dealer tells me that the a/c compressor has gone bad. The bill for the repair on the compressor is estimated at $1750! The lack of availibility of an aftermarket replacement means I may be forced to go this route. This morning on way to work I discovered that the windshield visor won't stay raised so I may have to velcro it in place til a real repair can be effected.
Overall review: I thought, for the first year, that I had a real bargain. I now believe that you get what you pay for.